- South Texas College is a public institution of higher education meeting the diverse educational and workforce needs of the people of Hidalgo and Starr counties.
South Texas College serves 28,233 students (31% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 14:1 is lower than the state community college average of 17:1.
Minority enrollment is 98% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is more than the state average of 70%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 28,233 students
- In-state tuition: $3,590
- Out-state tuition: $4,464
- Student:teacher ratio: 14:1
- Minority enrollment: 98%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
South Texas College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Texas for:
The teacher population of 1,992 teachers has grown by 185% over five years.
South Texas College
(TX) Community College Avg.
Four or more years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of South Texas College has declined by 9% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 14:1 has decreased from 17:1 over five years.
The South Texas College diversity score of 0.08 is less than the state average of 0.68. The school's diversity has declined by 13% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $3,590 is less than the state average of $3,626. The in-state tuition has declined by 10% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $4,464 is less than the state average of $5,997. The out-state tuition has declined by 41% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- Since its inception in 1993, South Texas College has grown from 1,000 to more than 17,000 students, and from a faculty and staff of 267 to 1489. The college has also grown from one campus to five campuses and centers. STC has campuses in McAllen, Weslaco and Rio Grande City as well as the Dr. Ramiro R. Casso Nursing and Allied Health Center in McAllen, and the Technology Center in south McAllen near the Foreign Trade Zone. South Texas College is a comprehensive college offering the Bachelor of Applied Technology, and associate degrees and certificates in 90 degree and certificate program options. Academic courses are transferable to colleges and universities and the curriculum includes distance learning, weekend courses and a newly added mini-mester. Although located in Hidalgo County, the STC Pecan Campus services students from the entire Rio Grande Valley. The campus offers comprehensive courses for college transfer to four-year institutions as well as vocational, technical and continuing education courses. The campus is currently undergoing numerous construction projects that will add an expanded library wing, new instructional facilities, and a new student services building. STC is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to award the Bachelor of Applied Technology, the Associate of Arts, the Associate of Sciences, and the Associate of Applied Sciences Degrees and Certificates. It is also approved for veteran's educational training in Certificate and Associate of Applied Sciences Degree programs by the Texas Education Agency.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does South Texas College cost?
South Texas College's tuition is approximately $3,590 for In-State students and $4,464 for Out-State students.
What is South Texas College's ranking?
South Texas College ranks among the top 20% of community college in Texas for: Average community college minority breakdown and Largest student body.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.