South Florida State College
- South Florida Community College?s 228-acre main Highlands Campus is located in Highlands County, Florida with 3 additional satellite campuses located throughout South Central Florida. At SFCC, we offer a multitude of quality and unique programs.
- The teacher population of 95 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|South Florida State College||(FL) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||Four or more years|
|Institution Control||Public||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||95 staff||37 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,780 students||1,142 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||29:1||38:1|
|# Full-Time Students||958 students||487 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,822 students||655 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$29,600||$30,300|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- South Florida Community College takes a learner-centered approach to provide the highest quality academic programs and services. SFCC students may participate in a variety of college clubs and organizations, cultural events, games, intercollegiate athletics, and other programs. Many of these activities are supported by student activity fees. Students are encouraged to participate in the College's decision-making processes through active involvement in various College committees. SFCC was established in 1965 by the Florida Legislature to serve the educational needs of Highlands and Hardee counties. The College began operation in August 1966 in temporary facilities provided at no cost to the State by public-spirited citizens of the City of Avon Park. The facilities were renovated, air conditioned, and partly furnished through the voluntary contributions of many interested individuals and organizations in both Highlands and Hardee counties and by the municipalities of Avon Park, Bowling Green, Lake Placid, and Sebring. Today, SFCC serves over 19,000 residents of Highlands, Hardee, and DeSoto counties. Students graduating with associate in arts degrees can concentrate in more than 60 fields of study. Students can earn an associate in science, an associate in applied sciences, or college credit or occupational certificates. In 1992, SFCC became one of the first community colleges in Florida to offer bachelor's degree programs through partnerships with public and private universities. It now offers 13 bachelor's degree programs and three master's degree programs through eight colleges and universities. Residents can now receive advising and classroom instruction without having to drive long distances or move away from the tri-county area
- The nearest community college to South Florida State College is Polk State College (34.2 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 16,000 students | 34.20 Mi999 Avenue H NE
Winter Haven,  FL  33881
- 367 students | 42.90 Mi995 E Memorial Blvd Suite110
Lakeland,  FL  33801
- 2,460 students | 58.80 Mi3924 Coconut Palm Dr
Tampa,  FL  33619
- 143 students | 59.60 Mi616 67th Street Circle East
Bradenton,  FL  34208
- 22,535 students | 60.00 Mi9200 Soutpark Center Loop
Orlando,  FL  32819
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.