- South College is a private, co-educational, non-sectarian academic institution dedicated to identifying and developing quality programs of study that promote the professional, intellectual, and personal growth of students. Accordingly, the institution offers diverse and well-balanced programs that encourage the development of independent learning and thinking at the baccalaureate, associate, and certificate levels.
South College serves 5,171 students (66% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 8:1 is lower than the state community college average of 12:1.
Minority enrollment is 32% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the state average of 27%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 5,171 students
- Private-state tuition: $19,475
- Acceptance Rate: 100%
- Student:teacher ratio: 8:1
- Minority enrollment: 32%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
The teacher population of 610 teachers has grown by 492% over five years.
(TN) Community College Avg.
Four or more years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
Private, for profit
The student population of South College has grown by 140% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 8:1 has increased from 5:1 over five years.
The South College diversity score of 0.49 is more than the state average of 0.44. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% Two or more races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The private state tuition of $19,475 is more than the state average of $13,551. The private state tuition has grown by 8% over four years.
Private State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- South College has been a part of the fabric of downtown Knoxville since 1882. Throughout its long history, South College has endeavored to provide challenging educational opportunities for students in business, allied health, and legal fields. The college has achieved a high level of success during peer reviews from institutional/programmatic accrediting agencies, federal and state agencies, and independent audits. Students and graduates consistently indicate a high level of satisfaction with their experiences at South College and their achievement of personal and professional goals. Each program of study is designed to require general education courses that broaden students' exposure to diverse perspectives, develop oral and written communication skills, and enhance critical thinking skills. The complementary nature of the general education courses and the major curriculum components of each program enables the development of educated, responsible professionals who have the skills necessary to meet their personal goals and the demands of the employment market. South College offers baccalaureate degree programs including Nursing, Elementary Education, Business Administration, Health Science, and Legal Studies. Current associate degree programs include Radiography, Physical Therapist Assistant, Paralegal Studies, Criminal Justice, Network Administration and Security, Business Administration, Accounting, Medical Assisting, and Office Technology. Medical Transcription, Legal Office Assistant, Professional Medical Coding, and Administrative Assistant are the certificate programs offered. South College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award baccalaureate and associate degrees.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does South College cost?
South College's private state tuition is approximately $19,475.
What schools are South College often compared to?
South Collegeis often viewed alongside schools like Pellissippi State Community College by visitors of our site.
What is the acceptance rate of South College?
The acceptance rate of South College is 100%, which is higher than the state average of 95%.
Learn about the lucrative career opportunities in nano-technology and how you can begin your training right at community college.
The Top Challenges for Non-Traditional Students in Community College
If you are starting community college as an adult, there are certain challenges you can expect to face. Understanding and anticipating those challenges will help you to face them head-on with the greatest chance for success.
January 17, 2023ChatGPT: A Powerful Tool With Many Uses
When your database is the entire Internet, you can answer just about any question lightning-fast. Here are some suggestions for using ChatGTP in your college studies.