- The mission of the college is to identify and facilitate quality programs of study that bring students together in an academic setting which encourages the development of educated, responsible professionals who meet the demands of our employment market.
- The teacher population of 33 teachers has declined by 13% over five years.
|South College-Asheville||(NC) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private, for profit||Public|
|Total Faculty||33 staff||139 staff|
|Total Enrollment||283 students||2,380 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1||20:1|
|# Full-Time Students||229 students||1,019 students|
|# Part-Time Students||54 students||1,361 students|
|% Two or more races|
|Diversity ScoreThe chance that two students selected at random would be members of a different ethnic group. Scored from 0 to 1, a diversity score closer to 1 indicates a more diverse student body.||0.29||0.55|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$23,800||$27,500|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- A private, co-educational, nonsectarian academic institution, South College-Asheville offers varied and well-balanced programs at the associate and certificate levels. Robert Talmadge Cecil founded South College-Asheville, formerly Cecils Business College, in 1905. The college's first classes were held in the Oates Building on North Pack Square but was relocated throughout the years to several different locations in downtown Asheville, including College, Haywood, and Broadway Streets, as enrollment and faculty numbers grew. The college soon became one of the highest rated schools of its kinds in the Carolinas and was one of the first colleges to identify itself with the National Association of Accredited Commercial Schools, an organization of more than 100 of the best business colleges in the United States. South College-Asheville is located on an eight-acre campus off Patton Avenue in Asheville, North Carolina. The building contains 8,400 square feet of modern classrooms, computer laboratories, a medical laboratory equipped with modern equipment, and other conveniences for the use of students. The college offers Associate of Applied Science Degrees in Accounting, Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Medical Assisting, Network Technology, Office Technology, Paralegal Studies and Physical Therapist Assistant. The college offers certificates for Administrative Assistant, Medical Transcriptionist, Microcomputer Operator and Surgical Technology. South College-Asheville is a junior college accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools to award AAS degrees and certificates. The Medical Assisting program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs on recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation for Medical Assistant Education.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 7,507 students | 4.60 Mi340 Victoria Rd
Asheville,  NC  28801
- 2,088 students | 14.90 Mi180 West Campus Drive
Flat Rock,  NC  28731
- 705 students | 21.90 MiOne Brevard College Drive
Brevard,  NC  28712
- 2,069 students | 22.80 Mi185 Freedlander Drive
Clyde,  NC  28721
- 1,056 students | 33.30 Mi54 College Drive
Marion,  NC  28752
October 22, 2017
Learn about the changing tide in male enrollment at community colleges, as well as the catalysts behind the increase in men on campus.
October 20, 2017
When you first start college you may be overwhelmed by the newness of it. But keep these common mistakes in mind as you go through your first year to make sure that you are properly setup for the rest of your college career and your life thereafter.
October 09, 2017
Forget the degree! Many community college students are landing good jobs with just a community college professional certificate.