American Academy of Dramatic Arts-Los Angeles
Top Ranked (2021-22): View Rankings
Tel: (800) 463-8990
- The American Academy of Dramatic Arts has been training professional actors for over one hundred and twenty years. The Academy trains actors for stage, film and television by means of a structured, professionally-oriented program that stresses self-discovery, self-discipline and individuality.
The teacher population of 21 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|American Academy of Dramatic Arts-Los Angeles||(CA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Special Focus Two-Year: Arts & Design||Associate's Colleges: Mixed Transfer/Vocational & Technical-High Traditional|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private not-for-profit||Public|
|Total Faculty||21 staff||149 staff|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The Academy offers a two-year professional training program, a third year advanced performance program (The Academy Company) and a six-week summer program, in both New York and Hollywood. The Academy stresses practical, professional training for stage, film and television. The program is highly structured, focusing on acting, voice and speech, and movement, with an emphasis on self-discipline, self-discovery and, above all, individuality. At each stage of development, students' classroom knowledge is tested through onstage performances. Students who excel may be invited to join the Academy Company. Participation in the Academy Company offers actors further performance opportunities, often in the presence of casting directors, agents and other industry professionals. The Academy's California home on 1336 North La Brea Avenue between Sunset and Santa Monica Boulevards is in the heart of Los Angeles--the entertainment capital of the West Coast. The Los Angeles campus is built on what was formerly the Charlie Chaplin studio lot, and is a state of the art facility with classrooms, acting studios, a costume and props shop and a television studio. Financial aid programs and services assist students and families with paying for the cost of attendance. Students and their families must demonstrate financial need. Financial aid packages may consist of a combination of grants, scholarships, campus employment, and loans. All packages are tailored to meet each student's need. The Academy participates in various federal and state financial aid programs and offers a choice of payment plans as well as scholarship. Complete details regarding financial aid are available through the Financial Aid Office.
The nearest community college to American Academy of Dramatic Arts-Los Angeles is Los Angeles Film School (0.9 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 3,806 students | 0.90 Mi6363 Sunset Blvd
Hollywood, CA 90028
(877) 952-3456 0.903,806
- 119 students | 2.60 Mi6435 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90048
(323) 966-5444 2.60119
- 13,909 students | 3.00 Mi855 N Vermont Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90029
(323) 953-4000 3.0013,909
- 1,284 students | 3.10 Mi4021 Rosewood Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90004
(949) 783-4800 3.101,284
- 628 students | 3.20 Mi3699 Wilshire Blvd., Fourth Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90010
(213) 427-2200 3.20628
Check out the latest rankings by Community College Times that shows the community colleges that were the top degree producers in the country last year.
The current state of the United States education system is up in the air as COVID-19 spreads across the nation. Graduating high school seniors may find it necessary to change their plans for the fall of 2020 and many are considering a gap year.
July 30, 2021
Going to college is a major commitment and a big decision – one that thousands of students postponed during the pandemic. Now that things are slowly returning to normal, what does the world of academia look like and what challenges are educators currently facing?