Lon Morris College (Closed 2012)
- The teacher population of 102 teachers has grown by 64% over five years.
|Lon Morris College||(TX) Community College Avg.|
|Total Faculty||102 staff||76 staff|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate (Year 2012)|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$33,300||$34,100|
|% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid (Year 2010)||97%||78%|
|Median Debt for Graduates (Year 2012)||$11,000||$9,350|
|Median Debt for Dropouts (Year 2012)||$5,500||$4,398|
|Acceptance Rate (Year 2011)||66%||75%|
- Lon Morris College is a church-related, two-year college of the arts and sciences with a core curriculum emphasizing the liberal arts. As a two-year college, Lon Morris College offers two years of higher education, foundational for advanced degrees, for those going on to more extended general education or to specialized and professional study. Lon Morris College was founded in 1854 as the Danville Academy near Kilgore, Texas. In 1875, the school became the property of the East Texas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and changed its name to Alexander Collegiate Institute in honor of its president and outstanding early Texas educator, the Reverend Isaac Alexander. The charter was obtained in 1886, and in 1894 the school was moved to its present location in Jacksonville, Texas. The name was changed once more, in 1924, to Lon Morris College by approval of the Texas Annual Conference after R.A. “Lon” Morris of Pittsburg, Texas gave his estate to the school. Lon Morris organized the first Phi Theta Kappa in Texas, which was begun in 1929. Phi Theta Kappa is the national scholastic society for two-year colleges. Lon Morris is the only two-year United Methodist college west of the Mississippi River, and it is the only surviving pre-Civil War school in East Texas. The college offers an Associate of Arts (AA) degree, an Associate of Science (AS) degree, or an Associate of Fine Arts (AFA) degree. Lon Morris College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the University Senate of the United Methodist Church.
- The nearest community college to Lon Morris College is Jacksonville College-Main Campus (0.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 523 students | 0.80 Mi105 B J Albritton Dr
Jacksonville,  TX  75766
- 11,168 students | 26.20 Mi1400 East Fifth Street
Tyler,  TX  75701
- 5,768 students | 37.50 Mi1100 Broadway
Kilgore,  TX  75662
- 4,983 students | 37.90 Mi100 Cardinal Drive
Athens,  TX  75751
- 2,579 students | 55.80 Mi1109 W Panola St
Carthage,  TX  75633