- The teacher population of 93 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Panola College||(TX) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||93 staff||76 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,579 students||3,921 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||28:1||35:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,345 students||1,055 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,234 students||2,866 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||212||252|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$34,700||$33,800|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Established in 1947, Panola College has greatly expanded its services to meet community needs and to provide a wide range of educational and training opportunities to citizens of all ages. The College began operating temporary buildings before the first two permanent buildings were erected in 1949. A 35-acre campus at the junction of Texas state Highway 315 and U.S. 79 in Carthage has been the school's home since its inception. There are now sixteen permanent buildings with more than 135 acres available for expansion in the coming century. In addition to a comprehensive community college in Carthage, the school offers a variety of instructional opportunities in a four-county service area including Harrison, Marion, and Shelby counties. These three counties became part of the college's official service area by legislative act in 1995. Panola College offers quality instructional programs for those interested in academic transfer, vocational/technical fields, developmental studies, workforce training and continuing education. Our excellent faculty provide personal assistance to students in a caring environment. An outstanding array of distance learning courses are also available. The degrees offered includes Associate of Science, Associate of Art, Associate of Applied Science, and Associate of Arts in Teaching. Certificates are available in technical areas. Panola College is accredited by the Commission of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award Associate degrees and certificates of completion.
- The nearest community college to Panola College is Texas State Technical College-Marshall (28.3 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 858 students | 28.30 Mi2650 E End Blvd, South
Marshall,  TX  75672
- 5,768 students | 33.90 Mi1100 Broadway
Kilgore,  TX  75662
- 291 students | 36.80 Mi2106 Bert Kouns Industrial Loop
Shreveport,  LA  71118
- 208 students | 39.20 MiP.O. Box 1236
Mansfield,  LA  71052
- 2,952 students | 40.60 Mi3050 Martin Luther King Dr
Shreveport,  LA  71107
We look at why millions of Americans are choosing community college over a traditional four-year school today.
Many students enroll in community college with the intent of transferring to a four-year school. Of those who do, many succeed, and yet traditional colleges and universities continue to overlook them. Read on to learn more about why more community college students don’t transfer schools and to receive some tips for making the transfer yourself.
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.