Las Positas College
- The mission of Las Positas College is to foster growth and success, both in its students and in its community. The College strives to fulfill this mission by offering high-quality, comprehensive educational programs and services. It augments and strengthens its mission by partnering with local businesses and organizations to promote the welfare of its students and the economic and social health of its service area.
- The teacher population of 200 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Las Positas College||(CA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||200 staff||97 staff|
|Total Enrollment||8,835 students||7,516 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||44:1||44:1|
|# Full-Time Students||2,854 students||1,613 students|
|# Part-Time Students||5,981 students||5,903 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$37,400||$34,600|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Las Positas College is located on 147 acres in Livermore, in the midst of one of California's fastest-growing regions for business and scientific industry. Las Positas began as an extension center of Chabot College in 1963, offering 24 classes and enrolling 810 students at Livermore High School and two other sites. By 1965, the program had expanded and moved to Granada High School in Livermore; it subsequently grew to include Amador and Dublin High Schools as well. The District purchased the Livermore site that same year, intending to develop a comprehensive community college. Las Positas College currently enrolls approximately 8,100 day and evening students. The College offers a two-year curriculum for students seeking career preparation, transfer to a four-year college or university, or personal enrichment. Students who come to the College can choose any of 22 Occupational Associate Degrees, 16 Transfer Associate Degrees, and over 35 Certificate Programs. Las Positas College has since developed into a fully accredited comprehensive institution. In 1988 the College was designated by the Board of Governors to be an independent college. Las Positas College received full accreditation on January 7, 1991 from the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 11,318 students | 14.30 Mi43600 Mission Blvd
Fremont,  CA  94539
- 13,047 students | 17.60 Mi25555 Hesperian Blvd
Hayward,  CA  94545
- 509 students | 18.20 Mi15555 E. 14th Street, Suite 500
San Leandro,  CA  94578
- 8,695 students | 20.60 Mi2700 East Leland Road
Pittsburg,  CA  94565
- 6,574 students | 21.00 Mi12500 Campus Dr
Oakland,  CA  94619
We continue to report on the ongoing saga in the California community college system. Schools are now opening for fall semester with fewer courses due to serious budget cuts, and students are feeling the academic pain.
The role of community colleges in the world of higher education has expanded over the years and, as the country works to recover from the coronavirus pandemic, they may be more important now than ever. Read on to learn more about the changing role of community colleges.
Colleges across the country are struggling to recover from the massive upheaval to the 2019-20 semester wrought by COVID-19. Housing refunds and slashed budgets are bound to have long-term impacts for the institutions that survive. Some experts suggest community colleges may be the best equipped to ride out the storm and may have the greatest impact in helping America recover.