Alpena Community College
- Alpena Community College (ACC) offers educational programs, technical training, and cultural opportunities to all of Northeast Michigan. Its student population ' numbering 2,165 in the official 2003 spring semester ' is marked by diverse ages, backgrounds, and goals. Small classes and the opportunity for individual attention enhance the quality instruction delivered at Alpena Community College and benefit both the traditional and non-traditional student.
- The teacher population of 84 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Alpena Community College||(MI) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||Four or more years|
|Total Faculty||84 staff||100 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,636 students||3,505 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||19:1||35:1|
|# Full-Time Students||812 students||1,591 students|
|# Part-Time Students||824 students||1,914 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$32,300||$30,600|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Founded in 1952, Alpena Community College offered classes at Alpena High School (then on Second Avenue) until the current campus was established in 1957. We were part of the Alpena K-14 public school system until 1979, when district voters decided the college should be independent and governed by its own Board of Trustees. ACC offers two-year degrees, one-year certificates, customized training and cultural opportunities to all of Northeast Michigan. Each semester, we attract more than 2,000 credit students of diverse ages and backgrounds. About two-thirds of our students live in the Alpena area, while the remaining one-third or so come from neighboring Alcona, Iosco, Montmorency and Presque Isle counties. In addition, the national reputation of some of our programs attract students from elsewhere in Michigan and throughout the United States. There are a variety of social, academic, athletic, cultural and service opportunities available to students at Alpena Community College. Involvement in activities beyond the classroom help you meet new people, broaden your interests and have fun, - important aspects of the collegiate experience. The Alpena Community College main campus is situated on 700 acres in Alpena, Michigan, just a short distance from Lake Huron. Our Huron Shores Campus in Oscoda serves residents in and around Iosco County. In addition, we offer selected classes in Rogers City, Whittemore and Tawas City. The college is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Institutions of Higher Education.
- The nearest community college to Alpena Community College is Kirtland Community College (53.9 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,511 students | 53.90 Mi4800 W 4 Mile Road
Grayling,  MI  49738
- 2,527 students | 76.00 Mi1515 Howard St
Petoskey,  MI  49770
- 4,343 students | 100.60 Mi1375 S Clare Ave
Harrison,  MI  48625
- 4,502 students | 107.10 Mi1701 E Front St
Traverse City,  MI  49686
- 9,842 students | 108.80 Mi1961 Delta Road
University Center,  MI  48710
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.