- Harrisburg Area Community College is an accessible, affordable, high quality, comprehensive community college. The multi-campus college serves as a premier educational and workforce development institution. The presence of quality instruction and cutting edge technology, business and industry collaboration, and a learning-centered environment provides students the necessary knowledge, skills and values to compete and excel in a global community.
Harrisburg Area Community College serves 15,376 students (27% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 11:1 is same as the state community college average of 11:1.
Minority enrollment is 27% of the student body (majority Hispanic and Black), which is less than the state average of 39%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 15,376 students
- In-state tuition: $7,440
- Out-state tuition: $10,695
- Student:teacher ratio: 11:1
- Minority enrollment: 27%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Harrisburg Area Community College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Pennsylvania for:
The teacher population of 1,371 teachers has grown by 62% over five years.
Harrisburg Area Community College
(PA) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Harrisburg Area Community College has declined by 17% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 11:1 has decreased from 13:1 over five years.
The Harrisburg Area Community College diversity score of 0.45 is less than the state average of 0.59. The school's diversity has declined by 14% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $7,440 is less than the state average of $9,730. The in-state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $10,695 is less than the state average of $13,992. The out-state tuition has grown by 15% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- Established February 14, 1964, as the first community college in Pennsylvania, HACC welcomed its first class of 426 students on September 21 of the same year. HACC has become one of the largest undergraduate colleges in Pennsylvania, with nearly 11,000 students enrolling in credit programs and courses each semester. A multi-campus college, Harrisburg Area Community College offers programs and courses at four campuses and one Center: the $64 million, 215-acre Harrisburg Campus in Harrisburg, the Lancaster Campus, the Lebanon Campus , Gettysburg Campus, and the York Center. Courses are also offered at additional locations throughout southcentral Pennsylvania includeing online. The Harrisburg, Gettysburg, Lancaster, Lebanon, and York locations are linked through compressed video classrooms which allow students on all four campuses to participate in the same class. The college offers Career programs, Certificate programs, Diploma programs and Transfer Programs. The College awards Associate in Arts (AA), Associate in Science (AS), and Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degrees, Certificates of Proficiency, and Diplomas. Most programs are offered at the Harrisburg Campus, and many are available at the campuses in Lancaster, Lebanon and Gettysburg. The College is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. The Pennsylvania Department of Education has authorized the College to award the Associate's degree, with specific programs receiving national accreditation.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Harrisburg Area Community College cost?
Harrisburg Area Community College's tuition is approximately $7,440 for In-State students and $10,695 for Out-State students.
What is Harrisburg Area Community College's ranking?
Harrisburg Area Community College ranks among the top 20% of community college in Pennsylvania for: Least expensive tuition and Largest student body.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.