Gainesville State College
- Gainesville State College, a University System of Georgia two-year institution, was established in 1964. Serving Northeast Georgia, Gainesville State College is a non-residential and co-educational institution. The main campus, located six miles southwest of downtown Gainesville and 45 miles northeast of Atlanta, is easily accessible from I-985, Exit 16. The Oconee Campus is located on Bishop Farms Parkway in Watkinsville.
Gainesville State College places among the top 20% of community colleges in Georgia for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
|Gainesville State College||(GA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||Four or more years|
|Total Faculty||- staff||94 staff|
|Total Enrollment||-||2,588 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||0:1||27:1|
|# Full-Time Students||-||1,115 students|
|# Part-Time Students||-||1,473 students|
|% Two or more races||-|
|% Non Resident races||-|
|% Unknown races|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$37,100||$29,600|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Gainesville State College is a premier institution in the University System of Georgia. On our two campuses, Gainesville and Oconee, we provide a welcoming and nurturing environment that focuses on student success. In addition to our strong academic programs, the College provides a full array of extracurricular activities and opportunities for leadership development that lead to our students' personal and social development. Gainesville State College offers courses leading to the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, and Associate of Applied Science degrees, as well as several certificate programs. Ninety percent of Gainesville State College students are in programs that are transferable to four-year colleges and universities. The 150 acre main campus consists of 12 buildings including its most recent addition, the Science, Engineering and Technology building that is considered to be one of the top ranked teaching facilities in the state. Recreational facilities include a rustic walking/exercise trail, biking trail, track, tennis courts and gymnasium with an Olympic-size pool and newly enhanced fitness center. Gainesville State College integrates academic with extracurricular activities to emphasize development of the "whole person." Students can enjoy the "total college experience" by participating in student activities, intramurals, clubs and organizations, bands, chorus, student publications, cultural affairs programs, personalities and speakers, fine arts offerings, extended orientation, and international-intercultural studies programs.
- The nearest community college to Gainesville State College is Lanier Technical College (0.2 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 3,695 students | 0.20 Mi2990 Landrum Education Dr
Oakwood,  GA  30566
- 7,234 students | 22.00 Mi5150 Sugarloaf Parkway
Lawrenceville,  GA  30043
- 1,681 students | 26.00 Mi100 Alumni Dr
Cleveland,  GA  30528
- 325 students | 27.30 Mi4230 Hwy 29 Ste 11
Lilburn,  GA  30047
- 2,663 students | 33.90 Mi1500 Georgia Hwy 197 N
Clarkesville,  GA  30523
We look at why millions of Americans are choosing community college over a traditional four-year school today.
Many students enroll in community college with the intent of transferring to a four-year school. Of those who do, many succeed, and yet traditional colleges and universities continue to overlook them. Read on to learn more about why more community college students don’t transfer schools and to receive some tips for making the transfer yourself.
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.