- Finlandia University offers students a diverse curriculum and an atmosphere that is supportive and friendly to each of its 550 students. The intimate learning environment that our students find in our small classes, and the relationships and friendships they forge with their classmates and employees of the university last a lifetime. If you are looking for approachable faculty, the opportunity to experience our academic excellence, and the chance to gain the skill and knowledge base to make you successful in the 21st century, Finlandia is the place for you.
Finlandia University serves 402 students (89% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 3:1 is lower than the state community college average of 13:1.
Minority enrollment is 35% of the student body (majority Black and Hispanic), which is more than the state average of 29%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 402 students
- Private-state tuition: $21,480
- Acceptance Rate: 83%
- Student:teacher ratio: 3:1
- Minority enrollment: 35%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Finlandia University ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Michigan for:
The teacher population of 145 teachers has grown by 173% over five years.
(MI) Community College Avg.
Four or more years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Finlandia University has stayed relatively flat over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 3:1 has stayed the same over five years.
The Finlandia University diversity score of 0.57 is more than the state average of 0.47. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The private state tuition of $21,480 is more than the state average of $11,103. The private state tuition has declined by 5% over four years.
Private State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- The Finlandia campus is in the heart of Northern Michigan's beautiful Keweenaw Peninsula. This rugged finger of land jutting out into the deep blue waters of Lake Superior affords a bounty of recreational activities that appeal to a vast number of interests. Comprised of a mixture of historic architecture and modern facilities, the Finlandia campus provides a mixture of comfort and aesthetic appeal. Nestled in the hills surrounding Portage Lake, an inspiring vista can be enjoyed from many locations on campus, especially the student residence. The campus' small size, comparable to an average city block, offers convenience, while its closeness to downtown Hancock provides diversity for the student's lifestyle. Finlandia was founded in 1896 as Suomi College by Finnish immigrants, but its heritage extends hundreds of years before that. The Finns developed an attitude of "sisu" or persistence and determination during the early years of their country's formation. They brought sisu with them to help them thrive in a new land. It was with this steadfast attitude that Finlandia University was established. Athletics are a major component of student life at Finlandia University. Our students have the opportunity to participate and share in the excitement of 13 varsity intercollegiate sports. Finlandia offers athletic programming for females in basketball, cross country running, ice hockey, Nordic Skiing, soccer, softball, and volleyball. For males, Finlandia sponsors baseball, basketball, cross country running, ice hockey, Nordic Skiing, and soccer.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Finlandia University cost?
Finlandia University's private state tuition is approximately $21,480.
What schools are Finlandia University often compared to?
Finlandia Universityis often viewed alongside schools like Delta College by visitors of our site.
What is the acceptance rate of Finlandia University?
The acceptance rate of Finlandia University is 83%, which is lower than the state average of 99%.
What is Finlandia University's ranking?
Finlandia University ranks among the top 20% of community college in Michigan for: Diversity in US community colleges, Average community college minority breakdown and Percent of students receiving financial aid.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.