Tel: (906) 482-5300
- Finlandia University offers students a diverse curriculum and an atmosphere that is supportive and friendly to each of its 550 students. The intimate learning environment that our students find in our small classes, and the relationships and friendships they forge with their classmates and employees of the university last a lifetime. If you are looking for approachable faculty, the opportunity to experience our academic excellence, and the chance to gain the skill and knowledge base to make you successful in the 21st century, Finlandia is the place for you.
- The teacher population of 53 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Finlandia University||(MI) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||Four or more years||Four or more years|
|Institution Control||Private, non-profit||Public|
|Total Faculty||53 staff||100 staff|
|Total Enrollment||493 students||3,505 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1||35:1|
|# Full-Time Students||431 students||1,591 students|
|# Part-Time Students||62 students||1,914 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||182||288|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$31,800||$30,600|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The Finlandia campus is in the heart of Northern Michigan's beautiful Keweenaw Peninsula. This rugged finger of land jutting out into the deep blue waters of Lake Superior affords a bounty of recreational activities that appeal to a vast number of interests. Comprised of a mixture of historic architecture and modern facilities, the Finlandia campus provides a mixture of comfort and aesthetic appeal. Nestled in the hills surrounding Portage Lake, an inspiring vista can be enjoyed from many locations on campus, especially the student residence. The campus' small size, comparable to an average city block, offers convenience, while its closeness to downtown Hancock provides diversity for the student's lifestyle. Finlandia was founded in 1896 as Suomi College by Finnish immigrants, but its heritage extends hundreds of years before that. The Finns developed an attitude of "sisu" or persistence and determination during the early years of their country's formation. They brought sisu with them to help them thrive in a new land. It was with this steadfast attitude that Finlandia University was established. Athletics are a major component of student life at Finlandia University. Our students have the opportunity to participate and share in the excitement of 13 varsity intercollegiate sports. Finlandia offers athletic programming for females in basketball, cross country running, ice hockey, Nordic Skiing, soccer, softball, and volleyball. For males, Finlandia sponsors baseball, basketball, cross country running, ice hockey, Nordic Skiing, and soccer.
- The nearest community college to Finlandia University is Gogebic Community College (87.0 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 950 students | 87.00 MiE4946 Jackson Rd
Ironwood,  MI  49938
- 1,139 students | 105.30 MiHwy G South
Rhinelander,  WI  54501
(715) 365-4410 105.301,139
- 2,024 students | 118.10 Mi2001 N Lincoln Road
Escanaba,  MI  49829
(906) 786-5802 118.102,024
- 4,377 students | 156.30 Mi1000 Campus Dr
Wausau,  WI  54401
(715) 675-3331 156.304,377
- 712 students | 160.90 Mi1900 East Camp Street
Ely,  MN  55731
(218) 235-2100 160.90712
Learn about how budgetary constraints are prompting community colleges to only offer four-day school weeks.
Learn about how you can pursue a degree and career in the entertainment industry by starting at your local community college.
Learn about the variety of mentoring programs available in community colleges, and why you may want to be involved as a mentee or mentor.