- Finlandia University offers students a diverse curriculum and an atmosphere that is supportive and friendly to each of its 550 students. The intimate learning environment that our students find in our small classes, and the relationships and friendships they forge with their classmates and employees of the university last a lifetime. If you are looking for approachable faculty, the opportunity to experience our academic excellence, and the chance to gain the skill and knowledge base to make you successful in the 21st century, Finlandia is the place for you.
The teacher population of 53 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Finlandia University||(MI) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||Four or more years|
|Institution Control||Private, non-profit||Public|
|Total Faculty||53 staff||100 staff|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The Finlandia campus is in the heart of Northern Michigan's beautiful Keweenaw Peninsula. This rugged finger of land jutting out into the deep blue waters of Lake Superior affords a bounty of recreational activities that appeal to a vast number of interests. Comprised of a mixture of historic architecture and modern facilities, the Finlandia campus provides a mixture of comfort and aesthetic appeal. Nestled in the hills surrounding Portage Lake, an inspiring vista can be enjoyed from many locations on campus, especially the student residence. The campus' small size, comparable to an average city block, offers convenience, while its closeness to downtown Hancock provides diversity for the student's lifestyle. Finlandia was founded in 1896 as Suomi College by Finnish immigrants, but its heritage extends hundreds of years before that. The Finns developed an attitude of "sisu" or persistence and determination during the early years of their country's formation. They brought sisu with them to help them thrive in a new land. It was with this steadfast attitude that Finlandia University was established. Athletics are a major component of student life at Finlandia University. Our students have the opportunity to participate and share in the excitement of 13 varsity intercollegiate sports. Finlandia offers athletic programming for females in basketball, cross country running, ice hockey, Nordic Skiing, soccer, softball, and volleyball. For males, Finlandia sponsors baseball, basketball, cross country running, ice hockey, Nordic Skiing, and soccer.
The nearest community college to Finlandia University is Gogebic Community College (87.0 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 950 students | 87.00 MiE4946 Jackson Rd
Ironwood,  MI  49938
- 1,849 students | 111.90 Mi5364 College Drive
Rhinelander,  WI  54501
(715) 365-4410 111.901,849
- 1,796 students | 118.10 Mi2001 N Lincoln Road
Escanaba,  MI  49829
(906) 786-5802 118.101,796
- 4,377 students | 156.30 Mi1000 Campus Dr
Wausau,  WI  54401
(715) 675-3331 156.304,377
- 712 students | 160.90 Mi1900 East Camp Street
Ely,  MN  55731
(218) 235-2100 160.90712
With serious mental health issues on the rise on college campuses nationwide, community colleges are scrambling to provide expanded mental health services to students.
We examine a new report at USA Today that shows employment rates for community college graduates have skyrocketed - and which of the fields where a community college degree is particularly helpful.
Who says college is just for the 18 - 22 year old crowd? In fact, more community colleges are recruiting students over the age of 50 - and for good reason!