- East Central Community College, is a public, open-access, comprehensive, two-year institution of higher education that provides university transfer education, distance education opportunities, career-technical programs, workforce development services, and basic skills offerings to meet the educational and training needs of the residents of Leake, Neshoba, Newton, Scott, and Winston counties located in east central Mississippi.
East Central Community College serves 2,388 students (69% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 9:1 is lower than the state community college average of 10:1.
Minority enrollment is 37% of the student body (majority Black), which is less than the state average of 46%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 2,388 students
- In-state tuition: $2,170
- Out-state tuition: $4,270
- Student:teacher ratio: 9:1
- Minority enrollment: 37%
- Source: Verified school update
East Central Community College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Mississippi for:
Debt For Students
The teacher population of 259 teachers has grown by 142% over five years.
East Central Community College
(MS) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of East Central Community College has declined by 6% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 9:1 has stayed the same over five years.
The East Central Community College diversity score of 0.53 is less than the state average of 0.57. The school's diversity has declined by 9% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $2,170 is less than the state average of $2,428. The in-state tuition has declined by 22% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $4,270 is less than the state average of $4,459. The out-state tuition has declined by 12% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Total Sports Offered
Baseball, Basketball, Football, Soccer, Softball, Tennis
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) , School Administrators
- In 1928 the Legislature of the State of Mississippi adopted the first basic laws for the organization and operation of Mississippi public junior colleges. East Central Community College opened its doors to a freshman class of twenty students for the first regular session in September of 1928. East Central Community College is part of the Mississippi Virtual Community College (MSVCC) and is committed to providing quality, on-line instruction as an alternative delivery system to those who need educational opportunities but cannot schedule time to come on campus. In addition to the classes listed on the ECCC schedule, there are other opportunities available through East Central and the MSVCC for on-line courses from other Mississippi Community Colleges. East Central Community College, located in Decatur, Mississippi, is a community college that thrives on academic excellence. During the Fall semester of 2004, the college set a new record enrollment of 2,739 students. Serving its five-county district consisting of Leake, Neshoba, Newton, Scott, and Winston counties, East Central offers a variety of programs at a minimum cost. East Central Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate Degree.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does East Central Community College cost?
East Central Community College's tuition is approximately $2,170 for In-State students and $4,270 for Out-State students.
What sports does East Central Community College offer?
East Central Community College offers 6 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Football, Soccer, Softball and Tennis.
What is East Central Community College's ranking?
East Central Community College ranks among the top 20% of community college in Mississippi for: Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation) and Least debt for graduating students.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.