- COA is a comprehensive community college committed to providing accessible education, training, and retraining for better jobs and better lives in Northeastern North Carolina.
- Enrollment: 2,508 students
- In-state tuition: $2,102
- Out-state tuition: $7,404
- Student:teacher ratio: 9:1
- Minority enrollment: 31%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Whether you are a basic skills, continuing education, vocational, technical or college transfer student; or a community member seeking business & industry training or cultural enrichment, COA has much to offer. COA can help you meet your educational and career goals. Many of our services are free, and all of them are relatively inexpensive, making COA an affordable investment in your future. Elizabeth City became home to COA in 1961 when College of The Albemarle became the first community college in the state chartered under the Community College Act of 1957. In 1963, the college was approved as the first comprehensive community college in the North Carolina Community College System. The college's 75-acre Elizabeth City Campus is located on Highway U.S. 17 North in Elizabeth City. On that campus, six major buildings provide space for administrative and faculty offices, classrooms, laboratories, a college bookstore, a student center, the Learning Resources Center, a lecture auditorium, a learning lab, the COA Auditorium, the Technology Center, a Basic Skills Lab, and a Health Sciences Center. Credits earned at College of The Albemarle in curricula leading to the Associate in Arts degree, the Associate in Science degree, the Associate in Fine Arts degree, and some of those leading to the Associate in Applied Science degree and the Associate in General Education degree, are transferable to senior colleges and universities for a higher degree. College of The Albemarle is a member of the North Carolina Community College System. College of The Albemarle is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees, diplomas, and certificates.