Coastal Carolina Community College
- As a member of the North Carolina Community College System, Coastal Carolina Community College provides opportunities for quality post-secondary education, workforce training and lifelong learning for the civilian and military population of Onslow County, within the limits of available resources. Coastal values academic excellence, focuses on learning outcomes and student success, provides leadership for community cooperation and actively promotes the economic development of Onslow County.
- The teacher population of 265 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Coastal Carolina Community College||(NC) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||265 staff||139 staff|
|Total Enrollment||4,355 students||2,380 students|
|# Full-Time Students||2,220 students||1,019 students|
|# Part-Time Students||2,135 students||1,361 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|College Completion Rate (Year 2015)|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$30,300||$27,500|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- In the fall of 1963, the Onslow County Board of Education and the Superintendent of Schools, Mr. J. Paul Tyndall, asked the Onslow County Commissioners to purchase 40 acres of property on U.S. Highway 17 for the establishment of an industrial education center. The newly established Onslow Industrial Education Center was a unit of the Lenior County Technical Institute. In 1972, with the dedication of the Hugh A. Ragsdale Building, the Board of Trustees started the relocation of the college to a new campus on Western Boulevard. For several years thereafter, the college operated on a split-campus until relocation was completed in 1978. Located in Jacksonville, North Carolina, home to Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune and Marine Corps Air Station, New River, Coastal recognizes that we serve two very distinct communities - a proud military community, rich with tradition and reverence for our American heritage, and an equally proud civilian community, who remain steadfast and solid amidst constant change. Coastal Carolina Community College provides Associate Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates, Lifelong Learning, Workforce Development, Personal and Cultural Enrichment, Customized Training, Comprehensive Student Support, Developmental Education and Adult Basic Skills, an aggressive Program of Economic Development and accessible education including Distance Learning. Coastal Carolina Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees, diplomas, and certificates.
- The nearest community college to Coastal Carolina Community College is Craven Community College (28.1 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 2,991 students | 28.10 Mi800 College Ct
New Bern,  NC  28562
- 2,959 students | 33.60 Mi231 Highway 58 South
Kinston,  NC  28502
- 1,213 students | 35.60 Mi133 James Sprunt Drive
Kenansville,  NC  28349
- 1,659 students | 35.80 Mi3505 Arendell St
Morehead City,  NC  28557
- 410 students | 37.30 Mi5049 Hwy 306 South
Grantsboro,  NC  28529
Against massive budget cuts, community colleges have been forced to take drastic measures, including cutting entire programs ranging from the culinary arts to athletics.
Many students enroll in community college with the intent of transferring to a four-year school. Of those who do, many succeed, and yet traditional colleges and universities continue to overlook them. Read on to learn more about why more community college students don’t transfer schools and to receive some tips for making the transfer yourself.
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.