City Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington College
- Harold Washington College is a learning-centered urban institution of higher education that offers accessible and affordable opportunities for academic advancement, career development, and personal enrichment. The College is committed to upholding high institutional and academic standards and to understanding and improving student learning.
The teacher population of 212 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|City Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington College||(IL) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||212 staff||123 staff|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Harold Washington College was founded in 1962 as Loop College, and was placed in the heart of the downtown business district to serve Chicago's business community through a broad spectrum of courses, two-year degrees, and certificate programs. Some of the academic programs that were offered during this period included business, data processing, and various course options within the human services profession. In 1987, the college's name was changed to commemorate Chicago's late Mayor Harold Washington. From its beginning, this has been a comprehensive college, offering students the traditional transfer-oriented liberal arts and sciences curricula as well as career and vocational programs. Today's student body displays a diverse mix of cultures, backgrounds, purposes and academic interests. Enrolling from throughout the city and throughout the world (almost fifty countries), Harold Washington College students are attracted by the combination of central location, high quality instruction, flexible class scheduling, wide-ranging course offerings, reasonable tuition rates and state-of-the-art educational facilities and equipment. At Harold Washington College each academic department's facilities reflect state-of-the-art modernity, from Chemistry's spectrophotometers and Information Technology's microcomputers to Architecture & Engineering's Computer-Assisted-Design systems, the Foreign Language laboratory's taped program library, and state of the art computers and software. In addition to more than 55,000 books, the Library and Learning Resource Center has a media-production room with audio/video tape facilities, and student carrels with television receivers, audio/video tape recorders, phonographs and slide viewers. The entire building at Harold Washington College is fully accessible to the disabled. HWC is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a Member of the North Central Association.
The nearest community college to City Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington College is Taylor Business Institute (0.0 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 229 students | 0.00 Mi180 N WABASH AVE FL 5
Chicago,  IL  60601
(312) 658-5100 0.00229
- 216 students | 0.30 Mi29 E. Madison
Chicago,  IL  60602
(312) 922-1884 0.30216
- 3,205 students | 0.70 Mi401 S State Street
Chicago,  IL  60605
(312) 935-6800 0.703,205
- 555 students | 1.00 Mi816 S Michigan Ave
Chicago,  IL  60605
(312) 939-0111 1.00555
- 1,086 students | 1.00 Mi361 W Chestnut
Chicago,  IL  60610
(312) 944-0882 1.001,086
With serious mental health issues on the rise on college campuses nationwide, community colleges are scrambling to provide expanded mental health services to students.
We examine a new report at USA Today that shows employment rates for community college graduates have skyrocketed - and which of the fields where a community college degree is particularly helpful.
Who says college is just for the 18 - 22 year old crowd? In fact, more community colleges are recruiting students over the age of 50 - and for good reason!