City Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington College
- Harold Washington College is a learning-centered urban institution of higher education that offers accessible and affordable opportunities for academic advancement, career development, and personal enrichment. The College is committed to upholding high institutional and academic standards and to understanding and improving student learning.
- The teacher population of 212 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|City Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington College||(IL) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||212 staff||123 staff|
|Total Enrollment||9,392 students||3,999 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||44:1||35:1|
|# Full-Time Students||5,828 students||1,386 students|
|# Part-Time Students||3,564 students||2,613 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$28,900||$32,200|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Harold Washington College was founded in 1962 as Loop College, and was placed in the heart of the downtown business district to serve Chicago's business community through a broad spectrum of courses, two-year degrees, and certificate programs. Some of the academic programs that were offered during this period included business, data processing, and various course options within the human services profession. In 1987, the college's name was changed to commemorate Chicago's late Mayor Harold Washington. From its beginning, this has been a comprehensive college, offering students the traditional transfer-oriented liberal arts and sciences curricula as well as career and vocational programs. Today's student body displays a diverse mix of cultures, backgrounds, purposes and academic interests. Enrolling from throughout the city and throughout the world (almost fifty countries), Harold Washington College students are attracted by the combination of central location, high quality instruction, flexible class scheduling, wide-ranging course offerings, reasonable tuition rates and state-of-the-art educational facilities and equipment. At Harold Washington College each academic department's facilities reflect state-of-the-art modernity, from Chemistry's spectrophotometers and Information Technology's microcomputers to Architecture & Engineering's Computer-Assisted-Design systems, the Foreign Language laboratory's taped program library, and state of the art computers and software. In addition to more than 55,000 books, the Library and Learning Resource Center has a media-production room with audio/video tape facilities, and student carrels with television receivers, audio/video tape recorders, phonographs and slide viewers. The entire building at Harold Washington College is fully accessible to the disabled. HWC is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a Member of the North Central Association.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 216 students | 0.30 Mi29 E. Madison
Chicago,  IL  60602
- 3,205 students | 0.70 Mi401 S State Street
Chicago,  IL  60605
- 280 students | 0.70 Mi318 West Adams Street, Suite 500
Chicago,  IL  60606
- 555 students | 1.00 Mi816 S Michigan Ave
Chicago,  IL  60605
- 1,086 students | 1.00 Mi361 W Chestnut
Chicago,  IL  60610
August 09, 2018
Learn about why more students are attending community college classes with their parents.
July 16, 2018
Online courses are an affordable and convenient alternative to attending a traditional university. With the advent of the first all-online community college in California, the world of community college is changing and changing quickly. Keep reading to learn more.
July 11, 2018
Read on to learn the ins and outs of crafting the perfect college application essay.