City Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington College
- Harold Washington College is a learning-centered urban institution of higher education that offers accessible and affordable opportunities for academic advancement, career development, and personal enrichment. The College is committed to upholding high institutional and academic standards and to understanding and improving student learning.
- Enrollment: 7,276 students
- In-state tuition: $6,460
- Out-state tuition: $7,891
- Student:teacher ratio: 18:1
- Minority enrollment: 88%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
City Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Illinois for:
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Harold Washington College was founded in 1962 as Loop College, and was placed in the heart of the downtown business district to serve Chicago's business community through a broad spectrum of courses, two-year degrees, and certificate programs. Some of the academic programs that were offered during this period included business, data processing, and various course options within the human services profession. In 1987, the college's name was changed to commemorate Chicago's late Mayor Harold Washington. From its beginning, this has been a comprehensive college, offering students the traditional transfer-oriented liberal arts and sciences curricula as well as career and vocational programs. Today's student body displays a diverse mix of cultures, backgrounds, purposes and academic interests. Enrolling from throughout the city and throughout the world (almost fifty countries), Harold Washington College students are attracted by the combination of central location, high quality instruction, flexible class scheduling, wide-ranging course offerings, reasonable tuition rates and state-of-the-art educational facilities and equipment. At Harold Washington College each academic department's facilities reflect state-of-the-art modernity, from Chemistry's spectrophotometers and Information Technology's microcomputers to Architecture & Engineering's Computer-Assisted-Design systems, the Foreign Language laboratory's taped program library, and state of the art computers and software. In addition to more than 55,000 books, the Library and Learning Resource Center has a media-production room with audio/video tape facilities, and student carrels with television receivers, audio/video tape recorders, phonographs and slide viewers. The entire building at Harold Washington College is fully accessible to the disabled. HWC is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a Member of the North Central Association.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does City Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington College cost?
City Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington College's tuition is approximately $6,460 for In-State students and $7,891 for Out-State students.