- Unique strength within diversity. At East-West University, unique sense of identity prevails. Strength of the university comes from its concerned and caring faculty and staff. Within the environment of East-West is a sense of community. Finally, diversity is the real strength of East-West University. East-West University was founded in 1980 with the mission of providing quality, affordable, multi-cultural, and forward-looking higher education to Chicago and the world. The institution has grown and prospered over the years, from a noble idea to a significant institution of higher learning accommodating nearly 1200 students. East-West has repeatedly been cited as having the lowest tuition among private schools in the Chicago area, making a higher education with personal attention more accessible. East-West has one of the highest percentages of international students of any baccalaureate school in the nation; it is the only majority-minority four year college in the state of Illinois; the faculty and staff is among the most diverse of any institution of higher learning in the nation; its graduates have spread throughout the world making a difference; and its close-knit, family atmosphere has been successful in helping students to meet the challenges of making it through college to graduation.
- The teacher population of 29 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|East-West University||(IL) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private, non-profit||Public|
|Total Faculty||29 staff||123 staff|
|Total Enrollment||555 students||3,999 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||19:1||35:1|
|# Full-Time Students||551 students||1,386 students|
|# Part-Time Students||4 students||2,613 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||-||240|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$26,900||$31,800|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The nearest community college to East-West University is Robert Morris University Illinois (0.4 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 3,205 students | 0.40 Mi401 S State Street
Chicago,  IL  60605
- 216 students | 0.70 Mi29 E. Madison
Chicago,  IL  60602
- 9,392 students | 1.00 Mi30 E Lake St
Chicago,  IL  60601
- 176 students | 1.00 Mi180 N WABASH AVE FL 5
Chicago,  IL  60601
- 611 students | 1.70 Mi330 North Green Street
Chicago,  IL  60607
We look at why millions of Americans are choosing community college over a traditional four-year school today.
Many students enroll in community college with the intent of transferring to a four-year school. Of those who do, many succeed, and yet traditional colleges and universities continue to overlook them. Read on to learn more about why more community college students don’t transfer schools and to receive some tips for making the transfer yourself.
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.