Centura College-Newport News
- The teacher population of 16 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Centura College-Newport News||(VA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private, for profit||Public|
|Total Faculty||16 staff||45 staff|
|Total Enrollment||211 students||1,577 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1||36:1|
|# Full-Time Students||146 students||717 students|
|# Part-Time Students||65 students||860 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$26,200||$29,400|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The nearest community college to Centura College-Newport News is Everest College-Newport News (4.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 433 students | 4.80 Mi803 Diligence Drive
Newport News,  VA  23606
- 10,436 students | 7.50 Mi99 Thomas Nelson Drive
Hampton,  VA  23666
- 226 students | 22.40 Mi7020 North Military Highway
Norfolk,  VA  23518
- 27,646 students | 23.60 Mi121 College Place
Norfolk,  VA  23510
- n/a students | 24.60 Mi2428 Almeda Ave Ste 316
Norfolk,  VA  23513
A new study by the Massachusetts Teachers Association has urged the state to hire more full-time faculty members at community colleges after uncovering a host of issues related to a growing adjunct faculty at these schools.
Colleges across the country are struggling to recover from the massive upheaval to the 2019-20 semester wrought by COVID-19. Housing refunds and slashed budgets are bound to have long-term impacts for the institutions that survive. Some experts suggest community colleges may be the best equipped to ride out the storm and may have the greatest impact in helping America recover.
The role of community colleges in the world of higher education has expanded over the years and, as the country works to recover from the coronavirus pandemic, they may be more important now than ever. Read on to learn more about the changing role of community colleges.