Big Sandy Community and Technical College
- Big Sandy Community and Technical College provides learning experiences for those preparing for immediate entry into the workforce upon graduation, for those transferring to a baccalaureate institution, and for community members seeking to enhance their knowledge and skills.
- The teacher population of 139 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Big Sandy Community and Technical College||(KY) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||Less than 2 yrs|
|Total Faculty||139 staff||97 staff|
|Total Enrollment||4,638 students||3,252 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||33:1||27:1|
|# Full-Time Students||2,385 students||1,360 students|
|# Part-Time Students||2,253 students||1,892 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$28,800||$29,400|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- With four campuses located in Hager Hill, Paintsville, Pikeville and Prestonsburg, BSCTC is conveniently located to all of the Big Sandy area. The College offers programs and courses of study in general, developmental, technical, and career education; student development; community and public service; and lifelong learning. Through these programs and courses, the College awards continuing education units, diplomas, certificates, and associate degrees consistent with the comprehensive nature of the institution. Students earn associate degrees, diplomas and certificates at BSCTC, which is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). BSCTC has partnered with business and industry to provide training at all of our campuses in a wide array of short term and industry specific classes. The College provides an environment for students, faculty, staff, and the community that encourages effective communication; freedom of expression; cultural awareness and enrichment; professional and intellectual growth; personal assessment; informed decision-making; problem solving; environmental awareness; and analytical, critical, and ethical thinking.
- The nearest community college to Big Sandy Community and Technical College is Hazard Community and Technical College (38.1 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 3,462 students | 38.10 MiOne Community College Drive
Hazard,  KY  41701
- 1,859 students | 42.70 MiDempsey Branch Road
Mount Gay,  WV  25637
- 3,660 students | 51.30 Mi700 College Rd
Cumberland,  KY  40823
- 59 students | 52.10 Mi506 Margaret St
South Point,  OH  45680
- 648 students | 53.80 Mi900 Fifth Ave
Huntington,  WV  25701
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.