- Big Sandy Community and Technical College provides learning experiences for those preparing for immediate entry into the workforce upon graduation, for those transferring to a baccalaureate institution, and for community members seeking to enhance their knowledge and skills.
Big Sandy Community and Technical College serves 2,426 students (57% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 10:1 is lower than the state community college average of 14:1.
Minority enrollment is 6% of the student body (majority Black and Hispanic), which is more than the state average of 19%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 2,426 students
- In-state tuition: $3,624
- Out-state tuition: $12,456
- Student:teacher ratio: 10:1
- Minority enrollment: 6%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Big Sandy Community and Technical College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Kentucky for:
The teacher population of 251 teachers has grown by 80% over five years.
Big Sandy Community and Technical College
(KY) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Big Sandy Community and Technical College has declined by 44% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 10:1 has decreased from 11:1 over five years.
The Big Sandy Community and Technical College diversity score of 0.12 is less than the state average of 0.33. The school's diversity has declined by 32% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% Two or more races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $3,624 is less than the state average of $3,629. The in-state tuition has declined by 11% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $12,456 is more than the state average of $12,449. The out-state tuition has declined by 9% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- With four campuses located in Hager Hill, Paintsville, Pikeville and Prestonsburg, BSCTC is conveniently located to all of the Big Sandy area. The College offers programs and courses of study in general, developmental, technical, and career education; student development; community and public service; and lifelong learning. Through these programs and courses, the College awards continuing education units, diplomas, certificates, and associate degrees consistent with the comprehensive nature of the institution. Students earn associate degrees, diplomas and certificates at BSCTC, which is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). BSCTC has partnered with business and industry to provide training at all of our campuses in a wide array of short term and industry specific classes. The College provides an environment for students, faculty, staff, and the community that encourages effective communication; freedom of expression; cultural awareness and enrichment; professional and intellectual growth; personal assessment; informed decision-making; problem solving; environmental awareness; and analytical, critical, and ethical thinking.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Big Sandy Community and Technical College cost?
Big Sandy Community and Technical College's tuition is approximately $3,624 for In-State students and $12,456 for Out-State students.
What is Big Sandy Community and Technical College's ranking?
Big Sandy Community and Technical College ranks among the top 20% of community college in Kentucky for: Least expensive tuition.
10 Top-Rated Careers You Can Do from Home with a Community College Degree
Would you like to work from home? We researched 10 of the best work-from-home jobs you can enjoy with a two-year degree under your belt.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.