Big Sandy Community and Technical College
- Big Sandy Community and Technical College provides learning experiences for those preparing for immediate entry into the workforce upon graduation, for those transferring to a baccalaureate institution, and for community members seeking to enhance their knowledge and skills.
- The teacher population of 139 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Big Sandy Community and Technical College||(KY) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||Less than 2 yrs|
|Total Faculty||139 staff||97 staff|
|Total Enrollment||4,638 students||3,252 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||33:1||27:1|
|# Full-Time Students||2,385 students||1,360 students|
|# Part-Time Students||2,253 students||1,892 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$28,800||$29,400|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- With four campuses located in Hager Hill, Paintsville, Pikeville and Prestonsburg, BSCTC is conveniently located to all of the Big Sandy area. The College offers programs and courses of study in general, developmental, technical, and career education; student development; community and public service; and lifelong learning. Through these programs and courses, the College awards continuing education units, diplomas, certificates, and associate degrees consistent with the comprehensive nature of the institution. Students earn associate degrees, diplomas and certificates at BSCTC, which is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). BSCTC has partnered with business and industry to provide training at all of our campuses in a wide array of short term and industry specific classes. The College provides an environment for students, faculty, staff, and the community that encourages effective communication; freedom of expression; cultural awareness and enrichment; professional and intellectual growth; personal assessment; informed decision-making; problem solving; environmental awareness; and analytical, critical, and ethical thinking.
- The nearest community college to Big Sandy Community and Technical College is Hazard Community and Technical College (34.5 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 3,462 students | 34.50 MiOne Community College Drive
Hazard,  KY  41701
- 1,859 students | 42.70 MiDempsey Branch Road
Mount Gay,  WV  25637
- 3,660 students | 49.60 Mi700 College Rd
Cumberland,  KY  40823
- 2,026 students | 52.60 MiOne Mountwest Way
Huntington,  WV  25701
- 59 students | 53.60 Mi506 Margaret St
South Point,  OH  45680
A new study by the Massachusetts Teachers Association has urged the state to hire more full-time faculty members at community colleges after uncovering a host of issues related to a growing adjunct faculty at these schools.
Colleges across the country are struggling to recover from the massive upheaval to the 2019-20 semester wrought by COVID-19. Housing refunds and slashed budgets are bound to have long-term impacts for the institutions that survive. Some experts suggest community colleges may be the best equipped to ride out the storm and may have the greatest impact in helping America recover.
The role of community colleges in the world of higher education has expanded over the years and, as the country works to recover from the coronavirus pandemic, they may be more important now than ever. Read on to learn more about the changing role of community colleges.