University of Arkansas-Fort Smith
- UA Fort Smith is a unique regional university. The institution will raise the education achievement level by providing high quality baccalaureate, associate, and certificate programs and a wide range of credit and noncredit educational services for its six-county Western Arkansas service area. Education and training services designed to meet the workforce education and retraining needs of business and industry throughout the region are a direct support responsibility of UA Fort Smith.
The teacher population of 295 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|University of Arkansas-Fort Smith||(AR) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||295 staff||62 staff|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The University includes bachelor-level programs, traditional transfer and career programs, as well as the Center for Business and Professional Development and the University Center. UA Fort Smith has experienced substantial growth in enrollments, faculty, facilities, and curricula. UA Fort Smith has indeed become an integral part of the community, offering a wide range of educational, occupational, cultural, and recreational opportunities. Our high-quality, high-attention degree programs include business, engineering, nursing, and a one-of-a-kind major in historical interpretation. And our associate's degree and certificate programs form an enduring foundation for rewarding technical and service careers.UA Fort Smith provides a variety of public service activities for the people and organizations within its service area. Included are non-credit courses, seminars, workshops, lectures, travel, telecourses, and teleconferences organized by the University's Center for Business and Professional Development. As a unique institution, UA Fort Smith provides certificates of proficiency, technical certificates, associate of arts degrees, associate of general studies, associate of applied science degrees, and bachelor's degrees as well as work-based learning and community education. All courses and programs are designed to meet specific needs of the community. At UA Fort Smith, we felt it was our duty to create a living and learning environment that was as beautiful and well-appointed. The Boreham Library, with tens of thousands of books, periodicals, and microfilms files and maintains subscriptions to several online databases, offers world class research and learning tools to our students and Fort Smith neighbors. The Baldor Technology Center can provide quality educational and technological programs to more than 1000 students per day.
The nearest community college to University of Arkansas-Fort Smith is Carl Albert State College (27.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 2,241 students | 27.80 Mi1507 S McKenna
Poteau,  OK  74953
(918) 647-1200 27.802,241
- 2,278 students | 53.00 MiRoute 1
Warner,  OK  74469
(918) 463-2931 53.002,278
- 930 students | 55.50 Mi1100 College Dr
Mena,  AR  71953
- 957 students | 60.70 Mi2299 Old Bacone Rd
Muskogee,  OK  74403
(918) 781-7340 60.70957
- 1,673 students | 63.10 Mi1301 W Main St
Wilburton,  OK  74578
(918) 465-2361 63.101,673
With serious mental health issues on the rise on college campuses nationwide, community colleges are scrambling to provide expanded mental health services to students.
We examine a new report at USA Today that shows employment rates for community college graduates have skyrocketed - and which of the fields where a community college degree is particularly helpful.
Who says college is just for the 18 - 22 year old crowd? In fact, more community colleges are recruiting students over the age of 50 - and for good reason!