Thomas Nelson Community College
- Thomas Nelson Community College is a two-year institution of higher education established as a part of a statewide system of community colleges. It primarily serves the residents of the cities of Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson, and Williamsburg, and the counties of James City and York. The college operates under policies established by the State Board for Community Colleges and with the guidance of the Thomas Nelson Community College Board. The administration of the college is directly responsible to the chancellor of the Virginia Community College System. The college is financed primarily by state funds, supplemented by contributions from the participating localities and the federal government.
- The teacher population of 252 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Thomas Nelson Community College||(VA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||252 staff||45 staff|
|Total Enrollment||10,436 students||1,577 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||41:1||36:1|
|# Full-Time Students||3,284 students||717 students|
|# Part-Time Students||7,152 students||860 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$33,700||$29,400|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Thomas Nelson Community College prepares students for success in the global community and workforce of the future through the delivery of world-class comprehensive arts and sciences, transfer and occupational/technical programs and workforce development. TNCC enhances the quality of life for citizens in its region by providing high quality, affordable, and accessible post-secondary education. The college offers Programs and Certificates in 40 fields of study. Some of the most popular programs include Accounting, Administrative Support Technology, Business Administration/Management/Marketing, Computer-Aided Drafting, Computer Arts, Information Technology, Nursing and Public Administration. Our campus in Hampton is located on 86.5 acres, and has eight academic buildings housing traditional classrooms, science labs, computer labs, language and graphic arts labs, the ï¿½Gatorsï¿½ Cafeteria, the college bookstore, conference rooms, a Wellness Center, The Dr. Mary T. Christian Auditorium and support offices. TNCC is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- The nearest community college to Thomas Nelson Community College is Everest College-Newport News (2.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 433 students | 2.80 Mi803 Diligence Drive
Newport News,  VA  23606
- 211 students | 7.50 Mi616 Denbigh Blvd
Newport News,  VA  23608
- 226 students | 15.00 Mi7020 North Military Highway
Norfolk,  VA  23518
- 27,646 students | 16.40 Mi121 College Place
Norfolk,  VA  23510
- n/a students | 17.20 Mi2428 Almeda Ave Ste 316
Norfolk,  VA  23513
We look at why millions of Americans are choosing community college over a traditional four-year school today.
Many students enroll in community college with the intent of transferring to a four-year school. Of those who do, many succeed, and yet traditional colleges and universities continue to overlook them. Read on to learn more about why more community college students don’t transfer schools and to receive some tips for making the transfer yourself.
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.