- Texas State Technical College (TSTC) was established in 1965 as the James Connally Technical Institute (JCTI) of Texas A & M University to meet the stateï¿½s evolving workforce needs. This College was located in Central Texas at the former James Connally Air Force Base in Waco. At the time, Governor John Connally predicted that it would be ï¿½the most sophisticated technical-vocational institute in the country.ï¿½
Texas State Technical College-Harlingen serves 5,225 students (41% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 30:1 is higher than the state community college average of 17:1.
Minority enrollment is 93% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is more than the state average of 70%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 5,225 students
- In-state tuition: $3,264
- Out-state tuition: $7,200
- Student:teacher ratio: 30:1
- Minority enrollment: 93%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Texas State Technical College-Harlingen ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Texas for:
Debt For Students
The teacher population of 177 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Texas State Technical College-Harlingen
(TX) Community College Avg.
Less than 2 yrs
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Texas State Technical College-Harlingen has stayed relatively flat over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 30:1 has stayed the same over five years.
The Texas State Technical College-Harlingen diversity score of 0.18 is less than the state average of 0.68. The school's diversity has declined by 10% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $3,264 is less than the state average of $3,626. The in-state tuition has declined by 46% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $7,200 is more than the state average of $5,997. The out-state tuition has declined by 46% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- Today, the Texas State Technical College System includes four colleges: TSTC Harlingen, TSTC Marshall, TSTC Waco, and TSTC West Texas, which has campuses in Abilene, Breckenridge, Brownwood, and Sweetwater. More than 10,000 students attend TSTC in credit programs alone. TSTC is the only state-supported technical college system in Texas. With a statewide role and mission, TSTC is efficiently and effectively helping Texas meet the high-tech challenges of today's global economy in partnership with business and industry, government agencies, and other educational institutions. TSTC has high graduation rates, exceptional graduate success rates, and an outstanding record in graduating individuals from diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. Since 1969, the college have focused on technical skills that prepare students for productive careers. Our graduates gain knowledge and skills in more than 30 study areas in engineering, computer information, industrial-manufacturing, health care and general education. TSTC Harlingen offers academic courses to prepare those in the Associate degree programs for academic and future career success with a variety of transferable general education courses in English, math, general psychology, humanities, technical writing and business writing. TSTC Harlingen has certificate and Associate degree programs to help you on your path to a successful future in the career field that most interests you. Technical Programs at TSTC Harlingen includes Agriculture, Information Technology & Telecommunications, Engineering & Manufacturing, Health & Sciences, Business, Commerce & Service and Transportation & Aviation.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Texas State Technical College-Harlingen cost?
Texas State Technical College-Harlingen's tuition is approximately $3,264 for In-State students and $7,200 for Out-State students.
What is Texas State Technical College-Harlingen's ranking?
Texas State Technical College-Harlingen ranks among the top 20% of community college in Texas for: Average community college minority breakdown, Percent of students receiving financial aid and Least debt for graduating students.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.