Texas State Technical College-Harlingen
- Texas State Technical College (TSTC) was established in 1965 as the James Connally Technical Institute (JCTI) of Texas A & M University to meet the state’s evolving workforce needs. This College was located in Central Texas at the former James Connally Air Force Base in Waco. At the time, Governor John Connally predicted that it would be “the most sophisticated technical-vocational institute in the country.”
Texas State Technical College-Harlingen places among the top 20% of community colleges in Texas for:
- The teacher population of 177 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Texas State Technical College-Harlingen||(TX) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||177 staff||76 staff|
|Total Enrollment||5,225 students||3,921 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||30:1||35:1|
|# Full-Time Students||2,128 students||1,055 students|
|# Part-Time Students||3,097 students||2,866 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||930||252|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races||-|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$32,100||$33,800|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Today, the Texas State Technical College System includes four colleges: TSTC Harlingen, TSTC Marshall, TSTC Waco, and TSTC West Texas, which has campuses in Abilene, Breckenridge, Brownwood, and Sweetwater. More than 10,000 students attend TSTC in credit programs alone. TSTC is the only state-supported technical college system in Texas. With a statewide role and mission, TSTC is efficiently and effectively helping Texas meet the high-tech challenges of today's global economy in partnership with business and industry, government agencies, and other educational institutions. TSTC has high graduation rates, exceptional graduate success rates, and an outstanding record in graduating individuals from diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. Since 1969, the college have focused on technical skills that prepare students for productive careers. Our graduates gain knowledge and skills in more than 30 study areas in engineering, computer information, industrial-manufacturing, health care and general education. TSTC Harlingen offers academic courses to prepare those in the Associate degree programs for academic and future career success with a variety of transferable general education courses in English, math, general psychology, humanities, technical writing and business writing. TSTC Harlingen has certificate and Associate degree programs to help you on your path to a successful future in the career field that most interests you. Technical Programs at TSTC Harlingen includes Agriculture, Information Technology & Telecommunications, Engineering & Manufacturing, Health & Sciences, Business, Commerce & Service and Transportation & Aviation.
- The nearest community college to Texas State Technical College-Harlingen is Kaplan College-Brownsville (23.4 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 345 students | 23.40 Mi1900 North Expressway, Suite O
Brownsville,  TX  78521
- 11,943 students | 26.60 MiOne West University Boulevard
Brownsville,  TX  78520
- 519 students | 30.50 Mi1500 S. Jackson
Mcallen,  TX  78503
- 30,180 students | 33.70 Mi3201 W Pecan
Mcallen,  TX  78502
- 399 students | 106.10 Mi1620 S. Padre Island Drive, #600
Corpus Christi,  TX  78416
Read about the increasing number of programs for senior citizens and retirees at community colleges.
Living with roommates is part of an authentic college experience, but is it an option for community college students? Read on to learn about housing options in community college and to learn how to survive the year with roommates.
Some people seem to graduate high school but never really leave the academic world behind. No matter what career you pursue, there are plenty of opportunities for higher education, but are they worth it. Read on to learn about graduate degrees in nursing and whether they are worth the time, cost, and effort.