- Southwestern Community College is a learning and teaching institution offering high-quality, innovative instruction and support, which promotes student achievement, academic excellence and economic development.
Southwestern Community College - Sylva serves 2,259 students (28% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 7:1 is lower than the state community college average of 9:1.
Minority enrollment is 22% of the student body (majority Hispanic and American), which is less than the state average of 40%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 2,259 students
- In-state tuition: $2,576
- Out-state tuition: $8,768
- Student:teacher ratio: 7:1
- Minority enrollment: 22%
- Source: Verified school update
Southwestern Community College - Sylva ranks among the top 20% of public schools in North Carolina for:
The teacher population of 337 teachers has grown by 134% over five years.
Southwestern Community College - Sylva
(NC) Community College Avg.
Less than 2 yrs
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Southwestern Community College - Sylva has declined by 8% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 7:1 has stayed the same over five years.
The Southwestern Community College - Sylva diversity score of 0.38 is less than the state average of 0.59. The school's diversity has declined by 5% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $2,576 is more than the state average of $2,531. The in-state tuition has grown by 16% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $8,768 is more than the state average of $8,245. The out-state tuition has grown by 15% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
Tuition listed is for the fall and spring semester attending full-time.
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- We offer quality programs that fit with your educational and career goals at a fraction of the cost! Students at four-year public universities in North Carolina pay 2-6 times more in tuition and fees compared to students at Southwestern Community College.When it comes to Tuition and Fees, SCC is dedicated to providing an affordable education. Review our estimated Cost of Attendance to help determine your cost and view our tuition payment plans for flexible payment options.Our cost may be low but the value of an SCC education is high! 90% of our graduates stay, live, and work within our service area, and our transfer students have over a 95% success rate at 4-year institutions in the UNC system.
- Key student resources include our Learning Assistance Center, Student Support Services, Disability Services, Library, and E-Learning department.All of our students have access to one-on-one academic advising and career counseling to prepare them for whatever is next!
- Through an agreement with the University of North Carolina system, SCC students can earn up to 61 hours worth of credit that will transfer to any public university and many private colleges in the state. Completion of the Associate in Arts, Associate in Fine Arts, or Associate in Science degree program ensures students` transfer with junior status into most majors.Our University Transfer Advising Center (UTAC) provides advising services for Arts and Sciences students planning to transfer to a university or 4-year college.Many SCC programs have also established transfer articulation agreements with other colleges and universities opening doors of opportunity for graduates to pursue a bachelor`s degree. These agreements are designed to identify the maximum number of transferable credits that can be completed at SCC, as well as the courses remaining upon transfer.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Southwestern Community College - Sylva cost?
Southwestern Community College - Sylva's tuition is approximately $2,576 for In-State students and $8,768 for Out-State students.
What is Southwestern Community College - Sylva's ranking?
Southwestern Community College - Sylva ranks among the top 20% of community college in North Carolina for: Highest completion rates.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.