Southwestern Community College - Sylva
- Southwestern Community College is a learning and teaching institution offering high-quality, innovative instruction and support, which promotes student achievement, academic excellence and economic development.
Southwestern Community College - Sylva serves 2,259 students (28% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 7:1 is lower than the state community college average of 9:1.
Minority enrollment is 22% of the student body (majority Hispanic and American), which is less than the state average of 40%.
- Enrollment: 2,259 students
- In-state tuition: $2,576
- Out-state tuition: $8,768
- Student:teacher ratio: 7:1
- Minority enrollment: 22%
- Source: Verified school update
The teacher population of 337 teachers has grown by 134% over five years.
Southwestern Community College - Sylva
(NC) Community College Avg.
Less than 2 yrs
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Southwestern Community College - Sylva has declined by 8% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 7:1 has stayed the same over five years.
The Southwestern Community College - Sylva diversity score of 0.38 is less than the state average of 0.59. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $2,576 is more than the state average of $2,531. The in-state tuition has grown by 16% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $8,768 is more than the state average of $8,245. The out-state tuition has grown by 15% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
Tuition listed is for the fall and spring semester attending full-time.
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- We offer quality programs that fit with your educational and career goals at a fraction of the cost! Students at four-year public universities in North Carolina pay 2-6 times more in tuition and fees compared to students at Southwestern Community College.When it comes to Tuition and Fees, SCC is dedicated to providing an affordable education. Review our estimated Cost of Attendance to help determine your cost and view our tuition payment plans for flexible payment options.Our cost may be low but the value of an SCC education is high! 90% of our graduates stay, live, and work within our service area, and our transfer students have over a 95% success rate at 4-year institutions in the UNC system.
- Key student resources include our Learning Assistance Center, Student Support Services, Disability Services, Library, and E-Learning department.All of our students have access to one-on-one academic advising and career counseling to prepare them for whatever is next!
- Through an agreement with the University of North Carolina system, SCC students can earn up to 61 hours worth of credit that will transfer to any public university and many private colleges in the state. Completion of the Associate in Arts, Associate in Fine Arts, or Associate in Science degree program ensures students` transfer with junior status into most majors.Our University Transfer Advising Center (UTAC) provides advising services for Arts and Sciences students planning to transfer to a university or 4-year college.Many SCC programs have also established transfer articulation agreements with other colleges and universities opening doors of opportunity for graduates to pursue a bachelor`s degree. These agreements are designed to identify the maximum number of transferable credits that can be completed at SCC, as well as the courses remaining upon transfer.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Southwestern Community College - Sylva cost?
Southwestern Community College - Sylva's tuition is approximately $2,576 for In-State students and $8,768 for Out-State students.
Careers: Marine Biologist
Combine underwater adventures with scientific discoveries and crystal blue waters, and you may have a dream career as a marine biologist. Learn about how you can start your marine biology training right at community college!
Cursing in the Classroom: Professor Ousted for Swearing
In a Hawaii community college philosophy course, a professor used profanity to get students' attention and inspire independent thought, but the efforts may have backfired.
Why Community Colleges Will Soon Be Accepting High School Sophomores
The next wave of community college students may just be high school sophomores. Learn about the new program that allows high school sophomores to graduate at 10th grade and proceed directly to community colleges.