Salem Community College
- At Salem Community College we believe in the value of education. Our commitment is to meet the ever-changing needs of a diverse community by providing high-quality and affordable education in a dynamic learning environment.
- The teacher population of 44 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Salem Community College||(NJ) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||44 staff||234 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,173 students||7,040 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||27:1||34:1|
|# Full-Time Students||641 students||3,412 students|
|# Part-Time Students||532 students||3,628 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races||-|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$29,800||$36,100|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Salem Community College traces its origins to the opening of Salem County Technical Institute in 1958. The institute quickly established a reputation for excellence in postsecondary career education, particularly in the technical and health fields. Recognizing the college-level caliber of the institute's programs, the Salem County Board of Chosen Freeholders requested approval to grant degree-awarding authority to the institute. The New Jersey Board of Higher Education evaluated the institute's programs and granted the requested approval. On September 3, 1972, Salem Community College was established by the Board of Chosen Freeholders. Salem Community College is a two-year, public, comprehensive institution of higher education authorized to grant associate degrees (A.A., A.S. and A.A.S.) and certificates in over 40 liberal arts, business, practical nursing and technology programs of study. SCC places strong emphasis on educational outreach and an open admissions policy. SCC is committed to providing quality instruction, academic support and student services that meet students' educational goals. SCC has 11-acre campus in Carneys Point, NJ. SCC enjoys the advantages of being in a small suburban community while being near Wilmington Delaware, Philadelphia and other metropolitan areas. The Carneys Point Campus features the Glass Center, home of the nationally renowned programs in scientific glass technology and glass art. The Salem Center offers many of the same services available at the Carneys Point campus, including credit-course registration and placement testing. Salem Community College is fully accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. In addition, the College and its programs are approved by the New Jersey Commission on Higher Education.
- The nearest community college to Salem Community College is Delaware College of Art and Design (5.0 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 185 students | 5.00 Mi600 N Market St
Wilmington,  DE  19801
- 6,700 students | 5.10 Mi333 N. Shipley Street
Wilmington,  DE  19801
- 661 students | 14.80 Mi800 Manchester Ave
Media,  PA  19063
- 12,459 students | 15.00 Mi901 S Media Line Rd
Media,  PA  19063
- 6,720 students | 18.90 Mi1400 Tanyard Road
Sewell,  NJ  08080
We continue to report on the ongoing saga in the California community college system. Schools are now opening for fall semester with fewer courses due to serious budget cuts, and students are feeling the academic pain.
The role of community colleges in the world of higher education has expanded over the years and, as the country works to recover from the coronavirus pandemic, they may be more important now than ever. Read on to learn more about the changing role of community colleges.
Colleges across the country are struggling to recover from the massive upheaval to the 2019-20 semester wrought by COVID-19. Housing refunds and slashed budgets are bound to have long-term impacts for the institutions that survive. Some experts suggest community colleges may be the best equipped to ride out the storm and may have the greatest impact in helping America recover.