Potomac State College of West Virginia University
- Potomac State College of West Virginia University is a great place to "Start Smart" and begin your higher education career. As a two-year division of West Virginia University, Potomac State College offers the prestige of a major school with the friendliness of a small campus. You get the best of both places: A curriculum designed at a well-respected research university delivered in a smaller classroom setting.
Potomac State College of West Virginia University places among the top 20% of community colleges in West Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- The teacher population of 59 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Potomac State College of West Virginia University||(WV) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||59 staff||49 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,540 students||1,060 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||26:1||23:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,235 students||435 students|
|# Part-Time Students||305 students||625 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||-||20|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$50,200||$25,000|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Potomac State College, as a fully integrated two-year division of West Virginia University, provides a high quality, comprehensive education for our students. The college is located in Keyser, WV, in the heart of the state's gorgeous eastern panhandle -- great recreation country for hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking, skiing, and white-water rafting. Live on campus in one of our active residence halls, or save money and commute. And, by all means, get involved. We offer plenty of student clubs and organizations as well as a winning athletic tradition in eight intercollegiate varsity sports. Potomac State College's 50 associate degrees transfer to WVU's main campus or most other four-year colleges. Potomac State College has nine two-year career and technical programs that prepare students for competitive jobs in areas such as hospitality and tourism, criminal justice and forest technology. The college offers a bachelor's degree through West Virginia University's Regents program for adults.
- The nearest community college to Potomac State College of West Virginia University is Allegany College of Maryland (19.7 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 3,227 students | 19.70 Mi12401 Willowbrook Rd SE
Cumberland,  MD  21502
- 675 students | 20.80 Mi687 Mosser Road
Mc Henry,  MD  21541
- 487 students | 25.30 Mi316 Eastern Drive
Moorefield,  WV  26836
- 6,996 students | 47.50 Mi173 Skirmisher Lane
Middletown,  VA  22645
- 104 students | 49.50 MiMount Braddock Road
Mount Braddock,  PA  15465
We look at why millions of Americans are choosing community college over a traditional four-year school today.
Many students enroll in community college with the intent of transferring to a four-year school. Of those who do, many succeed, and yet traditional colleges and universities continue to overlook them. Read on to learn more about why more community college students don’t transfer schools and to receive some tips for making the transfer yourself.
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.