- Garrett College is Maryland`s most exciting two year college, offering unique programs and residence halls; all in a safe, supportive environment at an affordable cost. Our campus is nestled on 62 acres of scenic Western Maryland, where our mountains, forests, lakes and whitewater rivers become more than attractions, they become classrooms.
|Garrett College||(MD) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||- staff||164 staff|
|Total Enrollment||675 students||4,515 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1||25:1|
|# Full-Time Students||473 students||1,174 students|
|# Part-Time Students||202 students||3,341 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||-||236|
|% Two or more races||-|
|% Non Resident races||-|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$34,300||$37,700|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Softball, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Garrett College has an open enrollment policy; this means that everyone who applies to Garrett is given the opportunity to obtain a higher education. Garrett College's scenic location offers outdoor adventure from mild to wild. Our area offers lakes, waterfalls, and thousands of acres of state parks, in addition to a popular ski resort and the world's only mountaintop white-water course. Garrett offers approximately 40 associate degrees and certificates. Our classes are taught by credentialed faculty members who bring energy and expertise to the classroom. Our low student-faculty ratio gives Garrett students the individual attention they deserve. With student organizations and a slate of on-campus events, our students have a wide range of activities from which to choose. Garrett College holds the distinction of being one of only a few two-year colleges in the U.S. with residential halls. Students stay involved in campus life through activities sponsored by the Student Government Association. Garrett offers seven athletic programs: men's and women's basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, wrestling and golf. GC students take advantage of the area's ski resort and lake through skiing, kayaking, snowboarding, rock climbing, and boating.
- The nearest community college to Garrett College is Potomac State College of West Virginia University (20.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,540 students | 20.80 Mi101 Fort Ave
Keyser,  WV  26726
- 717 students | 30.80 Mi2201 University Drive
Lemont Furnace,  PA  15456
- 104 students | 31.00 MiMount Braddock Road
Mount Braddock,  PA  15465
- 233 students | 31.20 Mi11 East Penn St
Uniontown,  PA  15401
- 3,227 students | 33.00 Mi12401 Willowbrook Rd SE
Cumberland,  MD  21502
Against massive budget cuts, community colleges have been forced to take drastic measures, including cutting entire programs ranging from the culinary arts to athletics.
Many students enroll in community college with the intent of transferring to a four-year school. Of those who do, many succeed, and yet traditional colleges and universities continue to overlook them. Read on to learn more about why more community college students don’t transfer schools and to receive some tips for making the transfer yourself.
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.