Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science Inc
Top Ranked (2021-22): View Rankings
Tel: (412) 362-8500
Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science Inc Photo #2 - Students attend presentation by one of many well-known speakers
Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science Inc Photo #4 - Students prepare hundreds of food baskets for the needy at Christmas
- The Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science offers an extensive program designed to prepare students for the many challenges they will encounter as funeral service professionals. The diversified curriculum continually evolves to address the changing needs and expectations associated with contemporary funeral services.
The teacher population of 11 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science Inc||(PA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Special Focus Two-Year: Arts & Design||Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private not-for-profit||Private not-for-profit|
|Total Faculty||11 staff||36 staff|
|Number of Programs Offered||3||8|
|% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid||96%||92%|
|Median Debt for Graduates||$16,813||$12,495|
|Median Debt for Dropouts||$10,349||$5,500|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- P.I.M.S. continues to provide thorough training in the mortuary arts and sciences. This training includes a theoretical understanding as well as personalized practical instruction by licensed funeral directors and embalmers. The school not only utilizes the facilities in its own building but also works in cooperation with the Allegheny County Coroner's Office to enhance the student's exposure to a wide range of applied experiences. The Institute strives to provide relevant information on all topics surrounding the death care industry thereby allowing both students and licensees to make informed choices within their chosen profession. In addition to this, an attempt is made to instill a sense of social consciousness which stresses the growing responsibilities and obligations of the funeral service professional. Ultimately, the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science aspires to provide its graduates with the resources and the confidence to represent funeral services as a professional caregiver providing a valuable contribution to the community. The Diploma Program (Embalming & Funeral Directing), Associate in Specialized Business Degree Program (Funeral Service Management), and the Associate in Specialized Technology Degree Program (Funeral Service Arts & Sciences) at Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science are accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education.
The nearest community college to Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science Inc is Pittsburgh Career Institute (3.6 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 136 students | 3.60 Mi421 Seventh Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
(412) 281-2600 3.60136
- 337 students | 3.80 Mi125 Seventh St
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
(412) 391-7021 3.80337
- 413 students | 4.30 Mi125 West Station Square Drive, Suite 129
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
(412) 391-6710 4.30413
- 149 students | 4.30 Mi1940 Perrysville Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15214
(412) 359-1000 4.30149
- 78 students | 4.30 Mi191 Performance Road
Sunbury, PA 17801
(570) 988-0700 4.3078
Leading the country in slashing public education spending, Arizona voted to defund higher education, including Pima and Maricopa Community College Districts, leaving many Arizona college students wondering what this new state legislation means for the future of their education.
Read on to learn the ins and outs of crafting the perfect college application essay.
July 30, 2021
Going to college is a major commitment and a big decision – one that thousands of students postponed during the pandemic. Now that things are slowly returning to normal, what does the world of academia look like and what challenges are educators currently facing?