Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science Inc
Top Ranked (2022): View Rankings
Tel: (412) 362-8500
Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science Inc Photo #2 - Students attend presentation by one of many well-known speakers
Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science Inc Photo #4 - Students prepare hundreds of food baskets for the needy at Christmas
- The Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science offers an extensive program designed to prepare students for the many challenges they will encounter as funeral service professionals. The diversified curriculum continually evolves to address the changing needs and expectations associated with contemporary funeral services.
The teacher population of 17 teachers has grown by 325% over five years.
|Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science Inc||(PA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Special Focus Two-Year: Arts & Design||Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private not-for-profit||Private not-for-profit|
|Total Faculty||17 staff||56 staff|
|Number of Programs Offered||3||16|
|School Calendar||Link to School Calendar|
|% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid||35%||91%|
|Median Debt for Graduates||$17,313||$13,000|
|Median Debt for Dropouts||$14,250||$5,500|
Source: 2020 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- P.I.M.S. continues to provide thorough training in the mortuary arts and sciences. This training includes a theoretical understanding as well as personalized practical instruction by licensed funeral directors and embalmers. The school not only utilizes the facilities in its own building but also works in cooperation with the Allegheny County Coroner's Office to enhance the student's exposure to a wide range of applied experiences. The Institute strives to provide relevant information on all topics surrounding the death care industry thereby allowing both students and licensees to make informed choices within their chosen profession. In addition to this, an attempt is made to instill a sense of social consciousness which stresses the growing responsibilities and obligations of the funeral service professional. Ultimately, the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science aspires to provide its graduates with the resources and the confidence to represent funeral services as a professional caregiver providing a valuable contribution to the community. The Diploma Program (Embalming & Funeral Directing), Associate in Specialized Business Degree Program (Funeral Service Management), and the Associate in Specialized Technology Degree Program (Funeral Service Arts & Sciences) at Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science are accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education.
The nearest community college to Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science Inc is Pittsburgh Career Institute (3.6 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 66 students | 3.60 Mi421 Seventh Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
(412) 281-2600 3.6066
- 339 students | 3.80 Mi125 Seventh St
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
(412) 391-7021 3.80339
- 413 students | 4.30 Mi125 West Station Square Drive, Suite 129
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
(412) 391-6710 4.30413
- 145 students | 4.30 Mi1940 Perrysville Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15214
(412) 359-1000 4.30145
- 84 students | 4.30 Mi191 Performance Road
Sunbury, PA 17801
(570) 988-0700 4.3084
What states are home to the most diverse and least diverse community colleges? In our exclusive diversity report, we analyze our data to determine how much diversity there is on community college campuses throughout the United States. In addition, learn about the benefits of attending a community college with a diverse student body.
As the third wave of TAACCCT grants are issued, we take a look at how community colleges are using this federal money to beef up job training programs across the country.
We take a closer look at the Upward Bound program, which is designed to prepare students for college whom might not otherwise succeed due to economic or family factors.