Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science Inc
Top Ranked (2022): View Rankings
Tel: (412) 362-8500
Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science Inc Photo #2 - Students attend presentation by one of many well-known speakers
Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science Inc Photo #4 - Students prepare hundreds of food baskets for the needy at Christmas
- The Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science offers an extensive program designed to prepare students for the many challenges they will encounter as funeral service professionals. The diversified curriculum continually evolves to address the changing needs and expectations associated with contemporary funeral services.
The teacher population of 11 teachers has grown by 175% over five years.
|Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science Inc||(PA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Special Focus Two-Year: Arts & Design||Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private not-for-profit||Private not-for-profit|
|Total Faculty||11 staff||36 staff|
|Number of Programs Offered||3||8|
|% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid||96%||92%|
|Median Debt for Graduates||$16,813||$12,495|
|Median Debt for Dropouts||$10,349||$5,500|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- P.I.M.S. continues to provide thorough training in the mortuary arts and sciences. This training includes a theoretical understanding as well as personalized practical instruction by licensed funeral directors and embalmers. The school not only utilizes the facilities in its own building but also works in cooperation with the Allegheny County Coroner's Office to enhance the student's exposure to a wide range of applied experiences. The Institute strives to provide relevant information on all topics surrounding the death care industry thereby allowing both students and licensees to make informed choices within their chosen profession. In addition to this, an attempt is made to instill a sense of social consciousness which stresses the growing responsibilities and obligations of the funeral service professional. Ultimately, the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science aspires to provide its graduates with the resources and the confidence to represent funeral services as a professional caregiver providing a valuable contribution to the community. The Diploma Program (Embalming & Funeral Directing), Associate in Specialized Business Degree Program (Funeral Service Management), and the Associate in Specialized Technology Degree Program (Funeral Service Arts & Sciences) at Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science are accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education.
The nearest community college to Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science Inc is Pittsburgh Career Institute (3.6 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 136 students | 3.60 Mi421 Seventh Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
(412) 281-2600 3.60136
- 337 students | 3.80 Mi125 Seventh St
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
(412) 391-7021 3.80337
- 413 students | 4.30 Mi125 West Station Square Drive, Suite 129
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
(412) 391-6710 4.30413
- 149 students | 4.30 Mi1940 Perrysville Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15214
(412) 359-1000 4.30149
- 78 students | 4.30 Mi191 Performance Road
Sunbury, PA 17801
(570) 988-0700 4.3078
Are you receiving the full financial aid you should? The process of applying for financial aid can be both time-consuming and confusing, especially for first-time college students. Learn about common errors to avoid in order to maximize your financial aid opportunities.
Make sure that your community college credits will transfer to your four year university by following these recommended strategies.
In preparation for the newly approved industry on its way to Massachusetts, community colleges across the state are partnering with the gambling industry to provide casino training.