CUNY Borough of Manhattan Community College
Tel: (212) 220-8000
- As one college within the City University of New York, BMCC shares CUNY’s mission to preserve academic excellence and extend higher educational opportunity to a diversified urban population. In addition, Borough of Manhattan Community College is dedicated to providing general, liberal arts, career education and continuing education programs, relevant to the needs, interests and aspirations of students of all ages.
The teacher population of 861 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|CUNY Borough of Manhattan Community College||(NY) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate's Colleges: High Transfer-High Traditional||Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||861 staff||88 staff|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Borough of Manhattan Community College was founded in 1963 and opened in 1964 as a small, primarily business-oriented community college offering programs aimed at the business community. Originally located in two floors of a commercial building in midtown Manhattan, the college focused on preparing students for business careers and on providing a liberal arts education to students who wished to transfer to four-year colleges. The college also created on-site training and management development courses for mid-level employees. BMCC continuously modified its in-house and on-site programs. BMCC is one of the nation's leading community colleges. Located in the heart of an exciting and vibrant city, BMCC reflects the best of downtown Manhattan: the culture of Tribeca, the vibrancy of Wall Street, and the promise of the Statue of Liberty. BMCC enrolls approximately 18,000 students in degree-programs and 6,000 more in continuing education programs. The campus, situated on 4.28 acres, became occupied in January 1983. In addition to the 71 classrooms, eight seminar rooms, numerous laboratories and three lecture halls, the campus library is equipped with 550 study carrels that permit use of audio/video cassettes. The campus features a 913-seat auditorium, a 262-seat theater and a 99-seat drama workshop. There is an intercollegiate-size swimming pool and gymnasium which can be divided into three regulation basketball courts. BMCC offers courses uptown as well. Uptown courses are held at two locations. You can choose to take classes at either our Harlem or Inwood/ Washington Heights locations.
The nearest community college to CUNY Borough of Manhattan Community College is New York Career Institute (0.4 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 545 students | 0.40 Mi11 Park Place 4th Floor
New York, NY 10007
(212) 962-0002 0.40545
- 1,011 students | 0.50 Mi408 Broadway 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10013
(212) 226-7300 0.501,011
- 17,269 students | 2.00 Mi300 Jay St
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(718) 260-5500 2.0017,269
- 4,356 students | 2.20 Mi81 Willoughby Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(718) 522-9073 2.204,356
- 8,767 students | 2.30 Mi227 W 27th St
New York, NY 10001
(212) 217-7999 2.308,767
Community colleges are quickly becoming a key competitor against four year universities – and for many good reasons! Learn about why more students are opting to enroll in their local community college, rather than going straight to four year institutions.
Hunting for a job is always nerve-wracking but even more so in the aftermath of a global pandemic. Read on to learn some job-hunting tactics and tips for remote interviewing.
May 18, 2021
The world was ill-prepared to find itself in the midst of a global pandemic and the effects of the past year will linger for many years to come. No industry was unaffected and the pandemic brought to light inequities in many, particularly the U.S. education system. Read on to learn how the pandemic has affected community colleges and what students can expect in the future.