New Mexico State University-Alamogordo
- NMSU-A is a two-year branch campus dedicated to the concept of high-quality cost efficient education that meets the needs of a diverse community. While some students continue to value the long established core courses, others are seeking alternatives to the traditional liberal arts education. Every possible effort is being made to keep programs and curricula flexible in order to accommodate varied and expanding community educational needs.
New Mexico State University-Alamogordo places among the top 20% of community colleges in New Mexico for:
- Category Attribute
- Diversity Diversity in US community colleges
- The teacher population of 72 teachers has declined by 26% over five years.
|New Mexico State University-Alamogordo||(NM) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Associate of Arts Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||72 staff||72 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,095 students||1,793 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||29:1||30:1|
|# Full-Time Students||716 students||604 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,379 students||1,189 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$38,100||$34,400|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- New Mexico State University, opened in 1890 as New Mexicos Land-Grant College. NMSU now carries out its land-grant mission at its main campus (Las Cruces), four branch community colleges, twelve off-campus agricultural science centers throughout the state, and Cooperative Extension Service offices located in every New Mexico county. New Mexico State University at Alamogordo is one of the branch community colleges of the University. NMSU-A was established in 1958 with an initial enrollment of 278 students. The classes were held at night on the Alamogordo High School campus. The objective of this post-secondary educational venture was to serve the military and civilian personnel from Holloman Air Force Base, as well as students from the local non-military population. We offer academic degrees at the associate level and preparation for successful transfer to baccalaureate level colleges and universities. Advanced undergraduate and graduate level courses also are available from a number of our educational partners through our distance learning facilities. In addition, relevant career and vocational programs are offered for those entering or advancing in today's workforce. New Mexico State University at Alamogordo is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The Medical Laboratory Technology Program is individually accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences. The Nursing Program operates with approval by the New Mexico State Board of Nursing and accreditation by the National League of Nursing.
- The nearest community college to New Mexico State University-Alamogordo is Eastern New Mexico University-Ruidoso (33.0 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 895 students | 33.00 Mi709 Mechem Dr
Ruidoso,  NM  88345
- 8,340 students | 65.60 Mi2800 Sonoma Ranch Blvd.
Las Cruces,  NM  88011
- 529 students | 77.50 Mi9451 Diana Drive
El Paso,  TX  79924
- 1,337 students | 83.10 Mi1414 Geronimo
El Paso,  TX  79925
- 2,951 students | 83.10 Mi6101 Montana Ave
El Paso,  TX  79925
Learn more about how community colleges and federal loans can help you affordably finance your community college education.
Community colleges are now embracing middle school students! Learn about summer programs at community colleges that offer excellent learning opportunities for middle schoolers.
We look at the increase in online course offerings at community colleges across the country, and why this option is becoming more popular with some students.