New Mexico State University-Alamogordo
Tel: (575) 439-3600
- NMSU-A is a two-year branch campus dedicated to the concept of high-quality cost efficient education that meets the needs of a diverse community. While some students continue to value the long established core courses, others are seeking alternatives to the traditional liberal arts education. Every possible effort is being made to keep programs and curricula flexible in order to accommodate varied and expanding community educational needs.
The teacher population of 72 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|New Mexico State University-Alamogordo||(NM) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Associate of Arts Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||72 staff||72 staff|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- New Mexico State University, opened in 1890 as New Mexicos Land-Grant College. NMSU now carries out its land-grant mission at its main campus (Las Cruces), four branch community colleges, twelve off-campus agricultural science centers throughout the state, and Cooperative Extension Service offices located in every New Mexico county. New Mexico State University at Alamogordo is one of the branch community colleges of the University. NMSU-A was established in 1958 with an initial enrollment of 278 students. The classes were held at night on the Alamogordo High School campus. The objective of this post-secondary educational venture was to serve the military and civilian personnel from Holloman Air Force Base, as well as students from the local non-military population. We offer academic degrees at the associate level and preparation for successful transfer to baccalaureate level colleges and universities. Advanced undergraduate and graduate level courses also are available from a number of our educational partners through our distance learning facilities. In addition, relevant career and vocational programs are offered for those entering or advancing in today's workforce. New Mexico State University at Alamogordo is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The Medical Laboratory Technology Program is individually accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences. The Nursing Program operates with approval by the New Mexico State Board of Nursing and accreditation by the National League of Nursing.
The nearest community college to New Mexico State University-Alamogordo is Eastern New Mexico University Ruidoso Branch Community College (32.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 605 students | 32.80 Mi709 Mechem Dr
Ruidoso,  NM  88345
(575) 257-2120 32.80605
- 7,876 students | 61.30 Mi2800 N. Sonoma Ranch Blvd.
Las Cruces,  NM  88011
(575) 528-7000 61.307,876
- 438 students | 77.70 Mi9451 Diana Drive
El Paso,  TX  79924
(915) 566-9621 77.70438
- 1,481 students | 83.20 Mi1414 Geronimo
El Paso,  TX  79925
(915) 778-4001 83.201,481
- 3,482 students | 83.30 Mi6101 Montana Ave
El Paso,  TX  79925
(915) 779-8031 83.303,482
Learn about how the community college tuition hikes in the next year may be greater than the rate of inflation.
In light of the huge budget cuts facing California community colleges, class rationing is now on the table as one option to help schools stay in the black. Is it right, fair or even practical? We’ll explore the issue.
Learn about how some convicted criminals abused community colleges' financial aid programs and why Congress has decided to prohibit criminals from being eligible for future aid.