Johnson & Wales University-North Miami
- At Johnson & Wales University, we prepare you for success?both personal and professional. Since 1914, our unique approach of combining academics and practical skills with relevant work experiences and community service has made JWU a recognized leader in career education. The mission of Johnson & Wales University is to empower its diverse student body to succeed in today's dynamic world by integrating general education, professional skills and career-focused education. To this end, the university employs its faculty, services, curricula and facilities to equip students with the conceptual and practical tools required to become contributing members of society.
Johnson & Wales University-North Miami places among the top 20% of community colleges in Florida for:
- Category Attribute
- Selectivity Lowest acceptance rates
- Diversity Diversity in US community colleges
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- The teacher population of 74 teachers has declined by 38% over five years.
|Johnson & Wales University-North Miami||(FL) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||Four or more years|
|Institution Control||Private, non-profit||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||74 staff||37 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,904 students||1,142 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||26:1||38:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,855 students||487 students|
|# Part-Time Students||49 students||655 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||-||184|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$38,800||$30,300|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The nearest community college to Johnson & Wales University-North Miami is Everest Institute-North Miami (4.2 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 196 students | 4.20 Mi111 NW 183rd St, Ste 200
Miami,  FL  33169
- 537 students | 4.50 Mi1525 NW 167th Street
Miami,  FL  33169
- 919 students | 7.40 Mi3700 Lakeside Drive
Hollywood,  FL  33027
- 141 students | 8.00 Mi571 NW 28th St
Miami,  FL  33127
- n/a students | 8.00 Mi2620 hollywood blvd
Hollywood,  FL  33020
The Online Education Initiative will greatly expand course offerings for community college students, while making the transfer process between institutions much more smooth. The Initiative has its critics, however, who decry the loss of local control over education.
A recent study reveals that job applicants with a credential or associate’s degree from a community college have slightly better chances of getting a job interview than students who attend a for-profit college or university. Since community colleges are much more budget friendly than for-profit institutions and have much better job placement results, community colleges are a much better option for employment-minded students.
After City College of San Francisco loses its accreditation, other community colleges in the state are facing warnings, sanctions and possible loss of accreditation as well.