John Tyler Community College
Top Ranked (2022): View Rankings
Tel: (804) 796-4000
- John Tyler Community College is a public two-year institution of higher education that has been serving the community since 1967. The College offers a variety of programs and services to primarily the residents of the cities of Colonial Heights, Hopewell and Petersburg; and the counties of Amelia, Charles City, Chesterfield, Dinwiddie, Prince George, Surry and Sussex.
John Tyler Community College ranks among the top 20% of community colleges in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Largest student body
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
The teacher population of 223 teachers has grown by 16% over five years.
|John Tyler Community College||(VA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate's Colleges: High Transfer-High Nontraditional||Associate's Colleges: Mixed Transfer/Vocational & Technical-Mixed Traditional/Nontraditional|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||223 staff||69 staff|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- John Tyler Community College is one of twenty-three comprehensive community colleges comprising the Virginia Community College System. As an open-access two-year institution, the college is committed to creating a supportive, learning-centered environment and providing flexible, cost-effective quality educational and workforce training programs that prepare students for transfer, gainful employment, life-long learning, personal fulfillment and social responsibility as global citizens in a rapidly changing world. JTCC offers quality and economical opportunities for workforce development and training, transfer to four-year institutions and recreational and personal interest. The College serves more than 8,500 for-credit students each year and offers 13 associate degrees and 38 certificates. In addition, the institution also serves 8,000 non-credit students and 500 companies and government agencies annually through the Community College Workforce Alliance. John Tyler Community College has a comprehensive mission with regard to its academic programs. This mission is to provide academic preparation for transfer to four-year institutions, career preparation for entry into high demand occupational fields, developmental courses to prepare students for college-level work, job retraining, and life-long learning activities. The College offers the Associate Degrees in Arts and Sciences and in Applied Science. In addition the college has several certificate and career studies certificate programs. John Tyler Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to offer associate degrees.
The nearest community college to John Tyler Community College is Chester Career College (1.9 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 205 students | 1.90 Mi751 WEST HUNDRED ROAD
Chester, VA 23836
(804) 751-9191 1.90205
- 741 students | 10.90 Mi8141 Hull St Rd
North Chesterfield, VA 23235
(804) 745-2444 10.90741
- 33 students | 13.00 Mi7914 Midlothian Turnpike
Richmond, VA 23235
(804) 330-0111 13.0033
- 2,475 students | 13.00 Mi11301 Johnson Rd.
South Prince George, VA 23805
(804) 862-6100 13.002,475
- 11,735 students | 14.40 Mi800 Moorefield Pk Dr
Richmond, VA 23236
(804) 330-5533 14.4011,735
Are you receiving the full financial aid you should? The process of applying for financial aid can be both time-consuming and confusing, especially for first-time college students. Learn about common errors to avoid in order to maximize your financial aid opportunities.
Make sure that your community college credits will transfer to your four year university by following these recommended strategies.
In preparation for the newly approved industry on its way to Massachusetts, community colleges across the state are partnering with the gambling industry to provide casino training.