- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College provides access to education that develops individuals for employment and career advancement, prepares students for successful transfer to colleges and universities, promotes personal enrichment and lifelong learning, and builds a skilled workforce that contributes to regional economic development.
J Sargeant Reynolds Community College serves 7,759 students (32% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 15:1 is lower than the state community college average of 17:1.
Minority enrollment is 49% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the state average of 48%.
- Enrollment: 7,759 students
- In-state tuition: $4,428
- Out-state tuition: $10,266
- Student:teacher ratio: 15:1
- Minority enrollment: 49%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
The teacher population of 532 teachers has grown by 66% over five years.
J Sargeant Reynolds Community College
(VA) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of J Sargeant Reynolds Community College has declined by 16% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 15:1 has decreased from 16:1 over five years.
The J Sargeant Reynolds Community College diversity score of 0.65 is less than the state average of 0.67. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $4,428 is more than the state average of $3,748. The in-state tuition has declined by 9% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $10,266 is more than the state average of $8,977. The out-state tuition has declined by 5% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College - Virginia's newest community college - was founded in 1972 to serve the capitol region in and around the city of Richmond. In just over 25 years, J. Sargeant Reynolds has grown into the third largest college in the Virginia Community College System, enrolling students at three major campuses, at 5 off-campus sites, and "virtually" through distance learning. J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College has three academic campuses - the Downtown Academic Campus, the Parham Road Academic Campus and the Western Academic Campus. The Parham Road Academic Campus, located one mile west of I-95 in Henrico County, offers college transfer programs in liberal arts, education, engineering, science, and computer science, as well as a broad range of occupational/technical programs in the areas of business, engineering, and public service. Students attend Reynolds for degrees that transfer to four-year universities and colleges in Virginia and elsewhere, degrees, certificates, and career studies certificates that prepare credit students for employment, credit courses for students who do not currently wish to complete an entire program - during the day, evening, on weekends, via distance learning and through dual enrollment and workforce development courses and services through the Community College Workforce Alliance (CCWA). JSRCC's occupational/technical plans, designed to prepare students for employment as technicians, paraprofessionals and skilled craftsmen. In these two-year plans, you can earn an Associate of Applied Arts (AAA) or Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree. For even quicker and more focused preparation for an occupation, you can complete a Certificate (C) plan in two or three semesters.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does J Sargeant Reynolds Community College cost?
J Sargeant Reynolds Community College's tuition is approximately $4,428 for In-State students and $10,266 for Out-State students.
What is J Sargeant Reynolds Community College's ranking?
J Sargeant Reynolds Community College ranks among the top 20% of community college in Virginia for: Largest student body.
OSHA Training at Community College: Making Workplace Safety Easier
Businesses and prospective employees need to look no further than community colleges for valuable, certified, and affordable OSHA training.
Careers: Smart Grid Tecnology
The "smart grid" presents a myriad of opportunities for green collar jobs. Learn about the job prospects in the industry and how your local community college can provide you with the training to capitalize on this growing industry.
Careers: Culinary Training
Learn about highly acclaimed culinary programs at community colleges.