Fresno City College
- Fresno City College, California's first community college, is a comprehensive learning community offering innovative instructional programs in anticipation of and responsive to the lifelong learning needs of our diverse population.
- The teacher population of 504 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Fresno City College||(CA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||504 staff||97 staff|
|Total Enrollment||22,307 students||7,516 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||44:1||44:1|
|# Full-Time Students||7,820 students||1,613 students|
|# Part-Time Students||14,487 students||5,903 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||-|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$31,000||$34,600|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The college's history began in 1907 when C. L. McLane, then superintendent of schools for the city of Fresno, recognized the need for college instruction for San Joaquin Valley students. Largely through McLane's efforts, Fresno Junior College was established. The first class consisted of 20 students and three instructors. The California Community College system has now grown to 109 campuses, enrolling approximately 1.5 million students. Fresno City College has built upon its rich history and gone on to pioneer many new developments in community college education. Thou-sands of local people have worked through the years to make Fresno City College a viable and strong educational institution. The College provides a wide variety of supportive services to assist our students in achieving their educational goals. Moreover, we are dedicated to working collaboratively with our community to enhance the economic and social development of the region.
- The nearest community college to Fresno City College is San Joaquin Valley College-Fresno Aviation (4.0 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- n/a students | 4.00 Mi4985 East Andersen Ave
Fresno,  CA  93727
- n/a students | 4.50 Mi295 East Sierra Avenue
Fresno,  CA  93710
- 1,509 students | 6.40 Mi564 W Herndon
Clovis,  CA  93612
- 14,633 students | 21.90 Mi995 N Reed Ave
Reedley,  CA  93654
- 3,976 students | 32.70 Mi555 College Avenue
Lemoore,  CA  93245
We continue to report on the ongoing saga in the California community college system. Schools are now opening for fall semester with fewer courses due to serious budget cuts, and students are feeling the academic pain.
The role of community colleges in the world of higher education has expanded over the years and, as the country works to recover from the coronavirus pandemic, they may be more important now than ever. Read on to learn more about the changing role of community colleges.
Colleges across the country are struggling to recover from the massive upheaval to the 2019-20 semester wrought by COVID-19. Housing refunds and slashed budgets are bound to have long-term impacts for the institutions that survive. Some experts suggest community colleges may be the best equipped to ride out the storm and may have the greatest impact in helping America recover.