Elgin Community College
- Elgin Community College is a comprehensive community college serving students at every stage of their educational journeys. From university transfer programs to continuting education classes to childcare and arts center events for the community, ECC offers something for everyone. Choose from 138 degree and certificate programs designed to prepare you to transfer to a four-year university or land a job in a high demand field. You'll join a welcoming community of faculty and staff who care about your success.
- The teacher population of 289 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Elgin Community College||(IL) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||289 staff||123 staff|
|Total Enrollment||15,074 students||3,999 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||52:1||35:1|
|# Full-Time Students||4,276 students||1,386 students|
|# Part-Time Students||10,798 students||2,613 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$34,000||$31,800|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||25 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
ADAPT, Anime Club, Aspire 1G, Associated Nursing Students, Black Student Achievers, Chinese Student Club, College Programming Board, ECC Observer Student Newspaper, Engineering Club, Forensics Team, Gamers United, Human Services Club, Military Branches United, Muslim Student Association, Organization of Latin American Students, Performing Arts Club, Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society (PTK), Spartan Christian Fellowship, Spartan Design Club, Student Government, Students Educationally Receiving Volunteer Experience (SERVE), Students Who Are Not Silent (SWANS), Team Engrepreneurs, United Students of All Cultures (USAC), Woment's Empowerment Alliance
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- When the University of Illinois decided to close its Elgin extension center (1946-49), Public School District U-46 voted to establish ECC in Jan. 1949. The College opened its doors the following fall with 97 students, one administrator, 17 part-time faculty and one full-time faculty member. The west wing of old Elgin High School, between Chicago and DuPage Streets on Elgin's eastside, was ECC's home for its first 10 years. The park-like setting of ECC's 145-acre main campus is dotted with trees and picturesque lakes. The campus is nestled in a pleasant neighborhood of residences and light industry. Lush lawns blend seamlessly with the greens and fairways of The Highlands, the city-owned golf course next door. As a large comprehensive institution, we offer a myriad of educational programs for all the citizens in District 509 - traditional students, returning adults, business and industry and personal enrichment. Our focus on maintaining a collaborative learning community will encourage you to explore and implement personal goals. Whether you are interested in pursuing an associate's degree and transferring to a 4-year college or university, ready to go to work but need new skills, or taking classes for promotion or for personal enrichment, we hope you'll will find what you need at ECC. ECC has an environment where you'll have the opportunity to concentrate on developing and refining your individual talents, have easy access to your teachers, and form close and lasting relationships with other members of the college community: a diverse and dedicated group of individuals who all share your interest in learning
Profile last updated:
- The nearest community college to Elgin Community College is William Rainey Harper College (13.5 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 14,957 students | 13.50 Mi1200 W Algonquin Rd
Palatine,  IL  60067
- 7,165 students | 16.80 Mi8900 US Hwy 14
Crystal Lake,  IL  60012
- 10,904 students | 17.20 MiRte 47 at Waubonsee Drive
Sugar Grove,  IL  60554
- 29,476 students | 17.70 Mi425 Fawell Blvd.
Glen Ellyn,  IL  60137
- 108 students | 22.20 Mi495 Northgate Pkwy
Wheeling,  IL  60090
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.