- Malcolm X College , a learning and assessment-centered community college, empowers students of diverse backgrounds and abilities to achieve academic, career, and personal success.
City Colleges of Chicago-Malcolm X College serves 7,273 students (38% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 17:1 is higher than the state community college average of 12:1.
Minority enrollment is 90% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is more than the state average of 47%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 7,273 students
- In-state tuition: $6,460
- Out-state tuition: $7,891
- Student:teacher ratio: 17:1
- Minority enrollment: 90%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
City Colleges of Chicago-Malcolm X College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Illinois for:
The teacher population of 419 teachers has grown by 201% over five years.
City Colleges of Chicago-Malcolm X College
(IL) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of City Colleges of Chicago-Malcolm X College has grown by 8% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 17:1 has stayed the same over five years.
The City Colleges of Chicago-Malcolm X College diversity score of 0.63 is less than the state average of 0.64. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $6,460 is less than the state average of $7,972. The in-state tuition has declined by 20% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $7,891 is less than the state average of $10,688. The out-state tuition has declined by 33% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) , School Administrators
- Malcolm X College , a learning and assessment-centered community college, empowers students of diverse backgrounds and abilities to achieve academic, career, and personal success. In addition to our commitment to academic excellence, we are a learning and assessment centered community college committed to extending learning experiences beyond the classroom setting to the global community through a wealth of cultural programs, extracurricular activities and socially relevant symposia. Annually the College hosts over 1,000 meetings and community events serving in excess of 150,000 individuals. In partnership with the Shule Ya Watoto (School for Children), Malcolm X College has the distinction of hosting one of the nation's only seven day Kwanzaa observances in the country, open to the public. In addition, the College addresses the needs of a multi-cultural student body and its surrounding community through events celebrating African American History Month, Asian American Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, Women's History Month and Veterans' Day, to name a few. Malcolm X College is embarking on a 35 million dollar renovation project to improve the mechanical and electrical infrastructure; replace the roof; upgrade public restrooms and the gymnasium; replace classroom furniture and install new lighting at Malcolm X College and the West Side Learning Center . These physical upgrades are certain to have a positive, lasting impact upon the learning environment of the institution, ensuring better educational experiences for all of our constituents.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does City Colleges of Chicago-Malcolm X College cost?
City Colleges of Chicago-Malcolm X College's tuition is approximately $6,460 for In-State students and $7,891 for Out-State students.
What is City Colleges of Chicago-Malcolm X College's ranking?
City Colleges of Chicago-Malcolm X College ranks among the top 20% of community college in Illinois for: Least expensive tuition, Average community college minority breakdown and Largest student body.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.