Essex County College
- Essex County College, an open access community college, serves the dynamic needs of diverse constituencies through comprehensive educational programs and services.
- Enrollment: 6,360 students
- In-state tuition: $6,156
- Out-state tuition: $6,156
- Student:teacher ratio: 12:1
- Minority enrollment: 89%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- ECC was established in 1966 as the public, two-year, open access community college of Essex County, admitted its first students in temporary quarters in downtown Newark in 1968, and moved to its current permanent site in the heart of the University Heights district of the city in 1976. Newark is New Jersey s largest city, 10 miles west of New York City. Approximately 25,000 people enroll each year in ECC s various degree and non-degree programs, including students from more than 40 foreign countries. The curriculum features close to 70 majors and 564 courses as part of a wide range of transfer and career programs. The 22-acre main campus in Newark features a multilevel megastructure covering three city blocks, a two-level multipurpose Physical Education Building/ Child Development Center complex, the Center for Technology, and the Clara E. Dasher Student Center. Among the resources of the 502,000 square foot megastructure are state-of-the-art laboratories, high tech classrooms with advanced teaching modalities, the Mary B. Burch Theater for the Performing Arts, and a newly renovated library equipped with online public access catalog stations, a computer lab offering instruction in information literacy, and extensive resource materials. At ECC, students can earn Associate in Arts ( A. A. ) and Associate in Science ( A. S. ) degrees for transfer to four-year colleges, or they can pursue Associate in Applied Science ( A. A. S. ) degrees and certificates to prepare for immediate employment. Some A. A. S. programs also transfer; academic advisors can provide additional information on the transfer process. Transfer/ articulation agreements exist with many institutions. Community and continuing education programs include intensive basic skills training, multilingual outreach programs, customized corporate training programs, career advancement and personal enrichment courses, youth programs, seminars, workshops, and public forums on diverse topics of interest to local residents. Essex County College is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Essex County College cost?
Essex County College's tuition is approximately $6,156 for In-State students and $6,156 for Out-State students.
What is Essex County College's ranking?
Essex County College ranks among the top 20% of community college in New Jersey for: Average community college minority breakdown.