East Los Angeles College
Tel: (323) 265-8650
- EAST LOS ANGELES COLLEGE has an international, multicultural student body that complements the 14 communities comprising its primary service area. The campus is convenient to more than 1.5 million homesï¿½and that it is the best educational value in the community. But once students start attending classes, ELACï¿½s professors become the primary reason they return semester after semester to complete their education. East Los Angeles College empowers students to achieve their educational goals, to expand their individual potential, and to successfully pursue their aspirations for a better future for themselves, their community and the world.
The teacher population of 494 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|East Los Angeles College||(CA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||494 staff||97 staff|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- East Los Angeles College has an international, multicultural student body that complements the 14 communities comprising its primary service area. The college offers both academic transfer courses which prepare students for admission to four-year colleges and universities and occupational programs which prepare students for careers in two years or less. Many of the students who transfer from East Los Angeles College to a four-year university move on to nearby California State University, Los Angeles, or to the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). The college is located in the suburban community of Monterey Park, California, ten miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Facilities include an Instructional Center; Bookstore; Cafeteria; Library; 20,000 seat sports stadium; 2,000 seat auditorium; and a 1,500 seat indoor swim stadium. East Los Angeles College was established in 1945 and was first located on the Garfield High School campus. In 1948, the college moved to its present 82 acre site on Avenida Cesar Chavez in Monterey Park, a suburb located six miles from the Los Angeles Civic Center. ELAC is one of the nine public community colleges within the Los Angeles Community College District. East Los Angeles College is committed to offering students an excellent education at the lowest possible cost. Assistance in the forms of grants, fee waivers, scholarships, loans and employment are provided by a variety of federal, state, and private sources. East Los Angeles College established the South Gate Educational Center in 1997 to better serve a growing student population that lives in the southern part of the college's service district. A wide variety of career and academic courses is offered and many students have successfully transitioned to universities and productive careers from the Center.
The nearest community college to East Los Angeles College is Platt College-Los Angeles (3.0 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 661 students | 3.00 Mi1000 South Fremont Avenue, A10
Alhambra,  CA  91803
(626) 300-5444 3.00661
- 204 students | 3.80 Mi1237 N. Mission Rd.
Los Angeles,  CA  90033
(323) 226-4911 3.80204
- 2,811 students | 6.10 Mi6812 Pacific Blvd.
Huntington Park,  CA  90255
(310) 482-6996 6.102,811
- 3,142 students | 6.30 Mi919 S Grand Ave
Los Angeles,  CA  90015
(213) 624-1200 6.303,142
- 16,263 students | 6.60 Mi3600 Workman Mill Rd
Whittier,  CA  90601
(562) 692-0921 6.6016,263
Learn about the steps you need to take to successfully transfer from a community college to a 4-year institution.
Online courses are an affordable and convenient alternative to attending a traditional university. With the advent of the first all-online community college in California, the world of community college is changing and changing quickly. Keep reading to learn more.
Many people view college campuses as bastions of free speech, but recent actions taken by some institutions of higher learning indicate that this may not always be the case.