Border Institute Of Technology
Tel: (915)593-7328 x 10
- Border Institute Of Technology (BIT) intent to provide quality degree programs in a flexible environment. This goal has been accomplished by adopting an innovative approach to traditional education; combining self-study with direct personal contact and technology. A unique aspect to BIT programs is the one-on-one instruction students receive from a distinguished national faculty. Although the University has taken advantage of advancements in technology to improve instruction, technology is regarded as an enhancement rather than a replacement for good teaching and relevant content. Students enjoy an educational climate that is typical of one found on a small traditional campus. This is made possible at a distance through a centralized Learning Network; emphasizing committed student service and open communication. BIT offers programs which afford a rich opportunity for U.S. and Non U.S. residents to match their desire to develop intellectually and professionally.
|Border Institute Of Technology||(TX) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private, for profit||Public|
|Total Enrollment||22 students||3,921 students|
|% Unknown races|
|% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid||83%||83%|
|Median Debt for Graduates||-||$9,500|
|Median Debt for Dropouts||-||$5,250|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Border Institute of Technology, formerly Southwest Institute, was established to fill a continuing and critical need for the large fashion segment of the El Paso garment industry. As the brainchild of Mary Frances Simon, President, it is an outgrowth of her former business, Mannequin Manor Finishing and Modeling School, Inc., established in 1964. From the beginning, Mrs. Simon was adamant in affirming that individual growth is the primary goal of any sound educational program. Her initial efforts focused on fashion show production and modeling, and her expertise resulted in her professionally trained models extending their careers into the world of fashion design, buying, writing, and merchandising. By 1969, she had expanded the curriculum to include Fashion Merchandising and Interior Design. In 1979, the school acquired the spacious quarters it still occupies at 9611 Acer Avenue, with an initial 10,000 square feet of space. In 1982, the school became the Southwest Institute of Merchandising and Design. At that time, it was granted approval to issue Associate of Applied Arts Degrees in the areas of Fashion Merchandising and Interior Design, with an optional third-year professional certification for the Interior Design program. In 1984, an Associate of Applied Sciences degree with a major in Hotel/Motel Administration was added. Endorsed by the Educational Institute of the American Hotel and Motel Association, it also included an executive certification option. In 1998, the Hotel/Motel Administration was dropped from the school curriculum. During 1985, two additional majors were approved: Microcomputer Applications and Business Management. An additional 12,500 square foot building was purchased next to the original one. The Art and Interior Design facilities are located in the second building, as is the staff of the Microcomputer Applications Department. The equipment is state-of-the-art, and the facilities are the equal of other fine schools everywhere. In 1989, the school opened the Accelerated Learning Center. Programs offered at Border Institute of Technology includes CADD, Network Technologies, Hands-On PC, Web Design and Network Security.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 28,308 students | 1.10 Mi9050 Viscount Blvd
El Paso,  TX  79925
- 2,951 students | 3.50 Mi6101 Montana Ave
El Paso,  TX  79925
- 1,337 students | 3.60 Mi1414 Geronimo
El Paso,  TX  79925
- 121 students | 4.50 Mi1155 N Zaragosa Rd Suite 100
El Paso,  TX  79907
- 990 students | 6.70 Mi9624 Plaza Circle
El Paso,  TX  79927
June 14, 2018
Learn about programs offered by community colleges that allow students to earn a two-year degree and then go on to earn a bachelor’s degree either online or at a nearby university.
May 18, 2018
Community Colleges have existed for more than 100 years and they have changed significantly in that amount of time. Keep reading to learn more about the history of community colleges and how they've changed the face of American public education.
May 10, 2018
We’ll explore various degree programs for shy individuals who prefer to work independently, rather than in a team environment.