Walters State Community College
- Walters State Community College, a public two-year higher education institution, is a component of the State University and Community College System of Tennessee governed by the Tennessee Board of Regents. The mission of Walters State is consistent with the college's shared vision for guiding the college into the twenty-first century and with the values expressed within the Campus Compact. Walters State is a learning centered, comprehensive community college established to provide affordable and quality higher education opportunities for the residents of upper East Tennessee. The college offers programs of study that lead to the Associate of Science, Associate of Arts, Associate of Science in Teaching, and Associate of Applied Science degrees.
- The teacher population of 227 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Walters State Community College||(TN) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs||Four or more years|
|Institution Control||Public||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||227 staff||29 staff|
|Total Enrollment||5,947 students||631 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||26:1||30:1|
|# Full-Time Students||3,227 students||369 students|
|# Part-Time Students||2,720 students||262 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$28,500||$29,400|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Golf, Softball, VolleyballBasketball, Cheering,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||40 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Agriculture Club, Art Club, Astronomy Club, Baptist Collegiate Ministry, Business Management Student Organization, Claiborne County Ministry, Claiborne Service Learners Club, Communication Club, Culinarians Guild, Debate Team, Drama Club, History Club, Hospitality Business Student Association, International Club, International Club of Sevier County, Kappa Beta Delta, Music Club, Organic Chemistry Club, Paralegal Studies Club, Phi Theta Kappa, Philosophy Club, Physical Therapist Assistants Association, Psychology Club, Recording Club, Respiratory Care Club, Rotaract Club, Science Club, Senators Pages, Service Learners of WSGC, Sevier County Ambassadors, Sevierville Collegiate Ministry, Social Sciences Club, Student Government Association (SGA), Student Nurses Association, Student Tennessee Education Association, Students for A Democratic Society, Walters State Chess Club, Walters State Folk Club, Word Up Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
WSCC Cheerleading Squad
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- As a comprehensive community college, Walters State provides leadership to a geographically large and diverse service area. The primary service area includes the counties of Claiborne, Cocke, Grainger, Greene, Hamblen, Hancock, Hawkins, Jefferson, Sevier, and Union. The college has a TBR approved expanded service area including other East Tennessee counties for Public Safety and Health programs. Walters State provides university parallel programs, programs and courses in business, technical education, health, public safety, and arts and sciences, continuing education and community service programs, personal enrichment, and lifelong learning, cultural enrichment programs, public service programs, advanced, honors, and developmental education programs, programs, services, and activities designed to enhance student opportunities, achievement, personal development, sense of civic responsibility, leadership skills, and general welfare. Walters State is accredited by the Commission on Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Profile last updated:
- The nearest community college to Walters State Community College is Fountainhead College of Technology (38.9 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 123 students | 38.90 Mi10208 Technology Drive
Knoxville,  TN  37932
- 1,241 students | 46.20 Mi3904 Lonas Road
Knoxville,  TN  37909
- 2,069 students | 51.00 Mi185 Freedlander Drive
Clyde,  NC  28721
- 5,865 students | 51.20 Mi2425 Hwy 75
Blountville,  TN  37617
- 2,718 students | 52.40 Mi3441 Mountain Empire Road
Big Stone Gap,  VA  24219
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.