- South College-Asheville serves 222 students (88% of students are full-time).
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 9:1 is lower than the college average of 21:1.
- Minority enrollment is 13% of the student body.
- South College-Asheville is one of 2 community colleges within Buncombe County, NC.
- The nearest community college is Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College (4.6 miles away).
Community College Avg.
|Institution Level||Four or more years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private for-profit||Public|
|Instructional Staff Total
(research/public service staff included)
|25 staff||63 staff|
|Total Enrollment||222 students||1,418 students|
|Student / Staff Ratio||1:9||1:21|
|# Full-Time Students||195 students||1,262 students|
|# Part-Time Students||27 students||1,508 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||1%|
|% Two or more races||1%||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees
|Out-State Tuition Fees
- A private, co-educational, nonsectarian academic institution, South College-Asheville offers varied and well-balanced programs at the associate and certificate levels.
- Robert Talmadge Cecil founded South College-Asheville, formerly Cecils Business College, in 1905. The college's first classes were held in the Oates Building on North Pack Square but was relocated throughout the years to several different locations in downtown Asheville, including College, Haywood, and Broadway Streets, as enrollment and faculty numbers grew. The college soon became one of the highest rated schools of its kinds in the Carolinas and was one of the first colleges to identify itself with the National Association of Accredited Commercial Schools, an organization of more than 100 of the best business colleges in the United States.
- South College-Asheville is located on an eight-acre campus off Patton Avenue in Asheville, North Carolina. The building contains 8,400 square feet of modern classrooms, computer laboratories, a medical laboratory equipped with modern equipment, and other conveniences for the use of students.
- The college offers Associate of Applied Science Degrees in Accounting, Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Medical Assisting, Network Technology, Office Technology, Paralegal Studies and Physical Therapist Assistant. The college offers certificates for Administrative Assistant, Medical Transcriptionist, Microcomputer Operator and Surgical Technology.
- South College-Asheville is a junior college accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools to award AAS degrees and certificates. The Medical Assisting program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs on recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation for Medical Assistant Education.
Related School Videos:
PINNING CEREMONY South College 2011
9 months ago
8000 students | 4.6 mi. away
2512 students | 14.9 mi. away
2489 students | 22.7 mi. away