- Northwestern Michigan College serves 5,440 students (47% of students are full-time).
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 33:1 is higher than the college average of 21:1.
- Minority enrollment is 7% of the student body.
- Northwestern Michigan College is the only community colleges within Grand Traverse County, MI.
Northwestern Michigan College
Community College Avg.
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Instructional Staff Total
(research/public service staff included)
|164 staff||63 staff|
|Total Enrollment||5,440 students||1,418 students|
|Student / Staff Ratio||1:33||1:21|
|# Full-Time Students||2,554 students||1,262 students|
|# Part-Time Students||2,886 students||1,508 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||2%||1%|
|% Two or more races||1%||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees
|Out-State Tuition Fees
|Tuition||2476 in district|
- NMC is the country's only college to have a Maritime academy on fresh water. The Great Lakes Maritime Academy is located at the spectacular Great Lakes Campus located on the shores of Grand Traverse Bay, a long protected water of Lake Michigan. Maritime is one of six state maritime academies that receives aid from the federal Maritime Administration. The Great Lakes Campus also houses the Great Lakes Culinary Institute, the only culinary school in Northern Michigan.
- NMC is home to the Dennos Museum Center, the Rogers Observatory, the Water Studies Institute, and the Michigan Technical Education Center, which operates one of the few community college Aviation programs in the country. NMC's extensive extended education program offers a vast array of non-credit classes to over 10,000 local residents annually.
- NMC offers one Associate in Science & Arts (ASA) degree: General Liberal Arts & Sciences, that is designed as a degree to prepare students for transfer to four-year schools. This can combine courses from several academic areas. NMC offers several Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degrees and certificates through these Academic Areas: Aviation, Business, Bridge Program, Communications, Computer Information Systems (IT), Great Lakes Culinary Institute, Great Lakes Maritime Academy, Health Occupations, Humanities, M-TEC: Michigan Technical Education Center Physical Education, Science/Math and Social Science.
- The Dennos Museum Center at Northwestern Michigan College is the region's premier cultural facility offering both major exhibitions in the arts and sciences and live performances in jazz, blues, folk and world music by national and international artists. The museum averages 60,000 visits a year, holds one of the largest and most historically complete collections of Inuit art in the United States, and won the Governor's Arts Award for Arts and Culture in 2000.
Related School Videos:
Related School News:
- Northern Michigan dancers battle for cancer - UpNorthLive.com
posted on February 23, 2013 at 04:26:52 pm
Northern Michigan dancers battle for cancerUpNorthLive.comFeatured performances from Northwestern Michigan College's Mojo Stomp, Crystal Bindi Studios, ...
- Northwestern Michigan College steps up security - WSBT-TV
posted on February 15, 2013 at 01:47:36 pm
Michigan RadioNorthwestern Michigan College steps up securityWSBT-TVTRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (AP) ? Efforts to step up school security in Michigan include a $20,000 investment at Northwestern Michigan College to make it ...
- Northwestern Michigan College Presents Lectures on Titanic Shipwreck - MyNorth.com
posted on February 4, 2013 at 03:53:31 pm
Northwestern Michigan College Presents Lectures on Titanic ShipwreckMyNorth.comFebruary 9: The Titanic Mapping Project. NMC students will present the results of ...