- Prairie State College serves 5,791 students (41% of students are full-time).
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 27:1 is higher than the college average of 21:1.
- Minority enrollment is 100% of the student body.
- Prairie State College is one of 37 community colleges within Cook County, IL.
- The nearest community college is City Colleges of Chicago-Olive-Harvey College (13.1 miles away).
Prairie State College
Community College Avg.
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Instructional Staff Total
(research/public service staff included)
|211 staff||63 staff|
|Total Enrollment||5,791 students||1,418 students|
|Student / Staff Ratio||1:27||1:21|
|# Full-Time Students||2,379 students||1,262 students|
|# Part-Time Students||3,412 students||1,508 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||1%|
|% Two or more races||-||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees
|Out-State Tuition Fees
- Prairie State College's 123-acre campus is located at South Halsted Street and Vollmer Road in Chicago Heights, Ill. Our north campus facilities, to the north of Vollmer Road, include the Health/Tech Center, Child Care Center, Physical Plant and Facilities warehouse and headquarters, the Illinois Employment and Training Center, plus four wooden temporary structures where our Adult Education programs are held. Here you'll find English as a Second Language, Literacy, Adult Basic Education and GED classes, and adult education computer labs.
- The main building, to the south of Vollmer Road, houses faculty and administrative offices, classrooms, laboratories, and student services facilities. A four story-building, the main campus building includes a Technology Center, where programs such as Automotive, Welding, Manufacturing Technology and Air Conditioning and Heating programs take place.
- Prairie State College, Illinois Community College District 515, serves thousands of residents each year in the Chicago Southland region. We additionally serve a growing number of people outside our geographic district through our corporate training and international student programs.
- Founded in 1957 as Bloom Township Community College, our first classes were held in 1958 in the basement of the First Christian Church. The College has come a long way since then. Bloom Community College was originally established to offer transfer liberal arts courses and occupational courses. Most students graduating in the early 1960s earned degrees in the liberal arts. Today, the College serves a more broad population, offering five types of associate's degrees (associate in arts, associate in science, associate in fine arts, associate in applied science, associate in general studies), two types of certificates (technical and career studies) and training in many other areas.
- Part of PSC's growth began back in 1967 when the College was reorganized as a Class I junior college. Then, with the combining of four high school districts into an enlarged territory, the College was renamed Prairie State College. The Beecher district was added to District 515 in 1989 by the Illinois Community College Board.
- The college is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Sports Associations Memberships: National Athletic Association, National Junior College Athletic Association
Related School Videos:
Jessica Gravely Awarded Tenure at Prairie State College
10 months ago
Related School News:
- Censured PSC Board Member Loses Over $1200 in Reimbursements - Patch.com
posted on December 26, 2012 at 12:19:28 pm
Censured PSC Board Member Loses Over $1200 in ReimbursementsPatch.comPatch requested an itemized list of each travel expense reimbursement given to each sitting ...
- Prairie State College Speech Team Wins Several Awards at College of Lake ... - eNews Park Forest
posted on December 21, 2012 at 10:44:42 pm
Prairie State College Speech Team Wins Several Awards at College of Lake ...eNews Park ForestChicago Heights, IL-(ENEWSPF)- The Prairie State College (PSC) speech team ...
- Prairie State College Recognized for Being Green - eNews Park Forest
posted on December 14, 2012 at 05:19:05 pm
Prairie State College Recognized for Being GreeneNews Park ForestCHICAGO HEIGHTS?(ENEWSPF)?December 14, 2012. Prairie State College recently was ...
4868 students | 13.1 mi. away
8965 students | 16.4 mi. away
6366 students | 17.4 mi. away
8366 students | 24.1 mi. away
0 students | 24.3 mi. away