- Southern Crescent Technical College serves 6,481 students (54% of students are full-time).
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 31:1 is higher than the college average of 21:1.
- Minority enrollment is 48% of the student body.
- Southern Crescent Technical College is the only community colleges within Spalding County, GA.
- The nearest community college is Gordon College (16.6 miles away).
Southern Crescent Technical College
Community College Avg.
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Instructional Staff Total
(research/public service staff included)
|211 staff||63 staff|
|Total Enrollment||6,481 students||1,418 students|
|Student / Staff Ratio||1:31||1:21|
|# Full-Time Students||3,471 students||1,262 students|
|# Part-Time Students||3,010 students||1,508 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||1%|
|% Two or more races||1%||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees
|Out-State Tuition Fees
- Griffin Technical College traces its roots to September of 1963 when students began attending classes in temporary quarters of the Griffin-Spalding County Area Vocational Technical School, under the supervision of the Georgia Department of Education. The first 48,000 square foot building was completed in 1966. The school was expanded in 1978 with the addition of 18,748 square feet of classroom space.
- In August of 1990, Griffin Tech dedicated a new facility, a 26,000 square foot office, classroom and lecture hall addition. In the spring of 1995, the new Academic Building provided 15,297 square feet of additional classroom and office space. In September 1995, seven acres were acquired from the City of Griffin, and in February 1997, an additional 7.49 acres vacated by the Georgia State Patrol Station was acquired providing an additional 7,223 square feet of classroom and office space.
- Griffin Tech's general education core courses are designed to allow students to develop and demonstrate their reading, writing, oral communication, and fundamental mathematical skills. Griffin Tech constantly updates the contents of its technical courses and acquires modern equipment for use in the classrooms and labs. Students are taught by instructors who strive to stay current in their field.
- The Academic Affairs Division offers 27 degree programs, 35 diploma programs, and 78 technical certificates of credit programs. New programs are implemented as needed and as resources become available. Our goal is to stay abreast of these needs and to offer students a wide range of occupational programs. Surveys and needs analyses are conducted periodically to validate programs in demand by our service area businesses and industries and our students.
- Griffin Technical College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, to award the associate degree.
Related School Videos:
Related School News:
- Griffin-Murphy Engagement - newtoncitizen
posted on May 17, 2013 at 07:39:13 pm
Griffin-Murphy EngagementnewtoncitizenShe attended Southern Crescent Technical College. She is employed with Petco as a salon manager and district grooming ...
- 7th Annual Law Enforcement Appreciation Banquet - Thomaston Times
posted on May 14, 2013 at 04:04:54 am
7th Annual Law Enforcement Appreciation BanquetThomaston TimesWe awarded a Heart of a Hero award to Erica Whitaker, an officer with Southern Crescent ...
- City awaits county on SPLOST IV - Henry Herald
posted on May 10, 2013 at 04:39:34 pm
City awaits county on SPLOST IVHenry HeraldMayor Billy Copeland convinced city council members of the need to set aside funds for Southern ...