- Lon Morris College serves 1,064 students (87% of students are full-time).
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 16:1 is lower than the college average of 21:1.
- Minority enrollment is 100% of the student body.
- Lon Morris College is the only community colleges within Cherokee County, TX.
- The nearest community college is Jacksonville College-Main Campus (0.7 miles away).
Lon Morris College
Community College Avg.
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private not-for-profit||Public|
|Instructional Staff Total
(research/public service staff included)
|67 staff||63 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,064 students||1,418 students|
|Student / Staff Ratio||1:16||1:21|
|# Full-Time Students||930 students||1,262 students|
|# Part-Time Students||134 students||1,508 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||1%|
|% Two or more races||-||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees
|Out-State Tuition Fees
- Lon Morris College is a church-related, two-year college of the arts and sciences with a core curriculum emphasizing the liberal arts. As a two-year college, Lon Morris College offers two years of higher education, foundational for advanced degrees, for those going on to more extended general education or to specialized and professional study.
- Lon Morris College was founded in 1854 as the Danville Academy near Kilgore, Texas. In 1875, the school became the property of the East Texas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and changed its name to Alexander Collegiate Institute in honor of its president and outstanding early Texas educator, the Reverend Isaac Alexander. The charter was obtained in 1886, and in 1894 the school was moved to its present location in Jacksonville, Texas. The name was changed once more, in 1924, to Lon Morris College by approval of the Texas Annual Conference after R.A. “Lon” Morris of Pittsburg, Texas gave his estate to the school.
- Lon Morris organized the first Phi Theta Kappa in Texas, which was begun in 1929. Phi Theta Kappa is the national scholastic society for two-year colleges. Lon Morris is the only two-year United Methodist college west of the Mississippi River, and it is the only surviving pre-Civil War school in East Texas.
- The college offers an Associate of Arts (AA) degree, an Associate of Science (AS) degree, or an Associate of Fine Arts (AFA) degree.
- Lon Morris College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the University Senate of the United Methodist Church.
- Sports Associations Memberships: National Athletic Association, National Junior College Athletic Association
Related School Videos:
Lon Morris College Students Promote Anti-Bullying
11 months ago
Quintin Ross Lon Morris College
1 year ago.
Lon Morris College 4x4 @ UIW 3:13
1 year ago.
Related School News:
- Albertus Magnus star Kendrea Walker has two children, one bad knee and no ... - New Haven Register
posted on January 5, 2013 at 01:49:09 am
Albertus Magnus star Kendrea Walker has two children, one bad knee and no ...New Haven RegisterAfter helping lead Hillhouse to a pair of state titles before graduating in ...
- Lon Morris stripped of accreditation - Jacksonville Daily Progress
posted on December 27, 2012 at 05:42:10 pm
Lon Morris stripped of accreditationJacksonville Daily ProgressDawn Ragan, chief restructuring officer for the Lon Morris College bankruptcy estate, did not ...
- Lon Morris College employees receive checks - The Cherokeean Herald
posted on December 26, 2012 at 05:53:30 am
Lon Morris College employees receive checksThe Cherokeean HeraldFormer Lon Morris College employees received checks Friday for services rendered last spring. ...