- Wilkes Community College serves 2,829 students (62% of students are full-time).
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 17:1 is lower than the college average of 21:1.
- Minority enrollment is 8% of the student body.
- Wilkes Community College is the only community colleges within Wilkes County, NC.
Wilkes Community College
Community College Avg.
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Instructional Staff Total
(research/public service staff included)
|171 staff||63 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,829 students||1,418 students|
|Student / Staff Ratio||1:17||1:21|
|# Full-Time Students||1,755 students||1,262 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,074 students||1,508 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||1%|
|% Two or more races||-||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees
|Out-State Tuition Fees
- Wilson Technical Community College is a dynamic member of the over 1,100 community colleges serving the United States and proud to be one of the 58 community colleges serving the State of North Carolina.
- In 1963, the North Carolina General Assembly passed the Community College Act creating a system of comprehensive community colleges and technical institutes. In September 1964, the people of Wilkes County approved the establishment of a community college through a bond vote for construction of facilities and a tax authorization for the operation of the college. Wilkes Community College was approved by the State Board of Education on October 1, 1964.
- Thompson, Hayes, and Lovette Halls, the first buildings on the Wilkes County campus on Collegiate Drive in Wilkesboro, were occupied on April 1, 1969. Since then, the college has expanded with more buildings for classrooms and offices. These, in addition to the John A. Walker Community Center, completed in 1984 and serving as a convention center and an entertainment complex; the Beacon Building, purchased in 1994; and the WCC Student and Learning Resources Center, completed in 1998, make up the current eleven buildings and 150.7 acres of the Wilkes campus. The beauty of the campus landscape and gardens was affirmed in 1987 by being selected for the National Register of Public Gardens. The college also has an Alleghany County center in Sparta and an Ashe County center in Jefferson.
- The college offers Associate Degrees Leading to Transfer to senior institutions, Associate in Applied Science Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates leading to employment and non-credit (Continuing Education) programs leading to employment.
- Wilkes Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees, diplomas, and certificates.
- Sports Associations Memberships: National Athletic Association, National Junior College Athletic Association
Related School Videos:
Injured at Wilkes Community College as a student
2 years ago
Wilkes Community College
2 years ago
Related School News:
- County players excel in college - Wilkes Journal Patriot
posted on January 11, 2013 at 07:31:08 pm
County players excel in collegeWilkes Journal PatriotKatelyn Bumgarner (West Wilkes, 2011), Wilkes Community College. The former West Wilkes standout ...
- Man Crashes Moped Charged With DWI In Wilkesboro - WFMY News 2
posted on January 10, 2013 at 09:40:11 pm
Man Crashes Moped Charged With DWI In WilkesboroWFMY News 2Wilkesboro, NC -- A man in Wilkesboro was charged with his fourth DWI in the past 10 years. Wilkesboro ...
- Avett Brothers added to MerleFest lineup - Wilkes Journal Patriot
posted on January 2, 2013 at 07:10:12 pm
CMT.comAvett Brothers added to MerleFest lineupWilkes Journal PatriotThe Avett Brothers will perform on the last day of this year's MerleFest at Wilkes Community College, festival organizers announced today. The four-day ...