- Catawba Valley Community College serves 5,514 students (50% of students are full-time).
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 20:1 is lower than the college average of 21:1.
- Minority enrollment is 100% of the student body.
- Catawba Valley Community College is the only community colleges within Catawba County, NC.
- The nearest community college is Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute (15.5 miles away).
Catawba Valley Community College
Community College Avg.
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Instructional Staff Total
(research/public service staff included)
|280 staff||63 staff|
|Total Enrollment||5,514 students||1,418 students|
|Student / Staff Ratio||1:20||1:21|
|# Full-Time Students||2,731 students||1,262 students|
|# Part-Time Students||2,783 students||1,508 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||1%|
|% Two or more races||-||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees
|Out-State Tuition Fees
- Through the concerted efforts of concerned and united Catawba County citizens and North Carolina educational leaders, on April 3, 1958, Catawba Valley Community College was established by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction as the ninth school of its kind in the state. In July 1963. the General Assembly of North Carolina enacted into law G.S. 115A which provided for the establishment of the present North Carolina System of Community Colleges. On January 9, 1964, Catawba Valley Technical Institute was among the original seven institutes chartered by the Department. At that time, CVTI established its own Board of Trustees and began operation as a member of the Department of Community Colleges. Thus, it was in August 1964, that the College awarded its first Associate Degree in Applied Science.
- Catawba Valley Community College, located about half way between Hickory and Newton on Highways 70 and 321, is in Catawba County, North Carolina. The campus covers 120 acres and includes ten buildings for a total of 270.000 square feet of floor space. In addition, there is a college Art Center on the Startown Highway, an Education Center in downtown Newton, the Alexander County Center, Balls Creek Center, and an East Campus.
- CVCC offers a variety of education programs including but not limited to the following: College Transfer, Automotive Systems, Business, Criminal Justice, Engineering Technology, Environmental Life Science, Furniture Technology, Health Science, Humanities, Industrial Technologies, Mathematics, Science, Social Science, Corporate & Continuing Education. CVCC offers a variety of vocational and technical education programs that can be completed in two years or less. Our College transfer programs are designed to give students the first two years of a four-year college education.
- A student's experience at Catawba Valley Community College does not begin and end in the classroom. Various activities, opportunities, and functions of a social and professional nature are offered by Student Government in order to provide a well rounded campus atmosphere. The College encourages participation in student organizations and activities. Programs sponsored include Fall and Spring Flings, N4C SGA conferences, co-curricular activities, NJCAA women's volleyball and NJCAA men's basketball and much more.
- Sports Associations Memberships: National Athletic Association, National Junior College Athletic Association
Related School Videos:
Related School News:
- LIVE: 26th Annual Catawba Valley Classic (Day 2) - The Observer News Enterprise
posted on December 28, 2012 at 10:30:34 pm
LIVE: 26th Annual Catawba Valley Classic (Day 2)The Observer News EnterpriseThe Observer News Enterprise is live at the Tarlton Complex on the campus of Catawba Valley Community College for the second day of 26th ...
- Auditions set for upcoming Rotarian Idol fundraiser - Charlotte Observer
posted on December 28, 2012 at 06:06:33 am
Auditions set for upcoming Rotarian Idol fundraiserCharlotte ObserverOrchid lecture: Nolan Newton will speak at the next meeting of the Catawba Valley Orchid ...
- St. Stephens stays undefeated - Hickory Daily Record
posted on December 28, 2012 at 03:37:54 am
St. Stephens stays undefeatedHickory Daily Record... N.C. ? St. Stephens High's undefeated boys started fast and then held off a furious Bunker ...