- Finlandia University serves 587 students.
- Minority enrollment is 100% of the student body.
- Finlandia University is the only community colleges within Houghton County, MI.
Community College Avg.
|Title IV Eligible||Yes||YES|
|Institution Level||4 or more years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private, non-profit||Public|
|Total Enrollment||587 students||1,418 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||1%|
|% Two or more races||-||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||180||254|
|% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid||100%||91%|
- The Finlandia campus is in the heart of Northern Michigan's beautiful Keweenaw Peninsula. This rugged finger of land jutting out into the deep blue waters of Lake Superior affords a bounty of recreational activities that appeal to a vast number of interests. Comprised of a mixture of historic architecture and modern facilities, the Finlandia campus provides a mixture of comfort and aesthetic appeal. Nestled in the hills surrounding Portage Lake, an inspiring vista can be enjoyed from many locations on campus, especially the student residence. The campus' small size, comparable to an average city block, offers convenience, while its closeness to downtown Hancock provides diversity for the student's lifestyle.
- Finlandia was founded in 1896 as Suomi College by Finnish immigrants, but its heritage extends hundreds of years before that. The Finns developed an attitude of "sisu" or persistence and determination during the early years of their country's formation. They brought sisu with them to help them thrive in a new land. It was with this steadfast attitude that Finlandia University was established.
- Athletics are a major component of student life at Finlandia University. Our students have the opportunity to participate and share in the excitement of 13 varsity intercollegiate sports. Finlandia offers athletic programming for females in basketball, cross country running, ice hockey, Nordic Skiing, soccer, softball, and volleyball. For males, Finlandia sponsors baseball, basketball, cross country running, ice hockey, Nordic Skiing, and soccer.
Related School Videos:
Finlandia University Coleman Fellows
2 years ago
Related School News:
- FinnFest sauna project back on track - Marquette Mining Journal
posted on December 30, 2012 at 06:09:05 am
Marquette Mining JournalFinnFest sauna project back on trackMarquette Mining JournalArtist Mary Wright, right, and Billy Cuff look on as Kayla Korpela hammers a nail ...
- Pavlinec leads Viterbo past Finlandia - La Crosse Tribune
posted on December 18, 2012 at 04:43:02 am
Pavlinec leads Viterbo past FinlandiaLa Crosse TribuneJess Pavlinec had her first career double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds as the V-Hawks ...
- Lawrence University women fall short against Finlandia - Appleton Post Crescent
posted on December 12, 2012 at 06:48:19 am
Daily Mining GazetteLawrence University women fall short against FinlandiaAppleton Post CrescentThe Lawrence University women's basketball team's late rally fell short, and the Vikings dropped a 69-63 ...