- Georgia Perimeter College serves 25,177 students (46% of students are full-time).
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 39:1 is higher than the college average of 21:1.
- Minority enrollment is 66% of the student body.
- Georgia Perimeter College is one of 8 community colleges within Dekalb County, GA.
- The nearest community college is Gupton Jones College of Funeral Service (5.6 miles away).
Georgia Perimeter College
Community College Avg.
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Instructional Staff Total
(research/public service staff included)
|652 staff||63 staff|
|Total Enrollment||25,177 students||1,418 students|
|Student / Staff Ratio||1:39||1:21|
|# Full-Time Students||11,577 students||1,262 students|
|# Part-Time Students||13,600 students||1,508 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||1%|
|% Two or more races||2%||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees
|Out-State Tuition Fees
- Founded by the citizens of DeKalb County and the DeKalb Board of Education under the Junior College Act of 1958, Georgia Perimeter College opened as DeKalb College with its Clarkston Campus in 1964. It was the only public junior college in the state supported and controlled by a local board of education. It was established in order that any resident of the DeKalb School District who held a high school diploma or its equivalent and who desired to seek two years of postsecondary education might have the opportunity to do so.
- The college's Decatur (formerly known as South) Campus opened in 1972. Also beginning in 1972, students enrolled in DeKalb Area Technical School were able to enroll dually in vocational and collegiate programs, and the college was designated DeKalb Community College. As growth continued both for DeKalb County and the college, the Dunwoody (Formerly North) Campus was added and began operation in 1979. DeKalb College pioneered in Georgia in open-door admissions, personalized approaches to instruction, and community-related curricula and activities.
- The Decatur Campus is one of the most scenic college campuses in the entire Atlanta area. The campus is surrounded by lush landscaped acres; it even houses its own botanical garden. Several miles of walking trails and tree-lined walkways connect the north and south portions of the campus. On your tour you will find tennis courts, a basketball court and a junior Olympic size swimming pool. The campus boasts ample parking spaces and the lots are all conveniently located.
- College curricula feature transfer, learning support, career, continuing and distance education programs as well as joint educational offerings with other system institutions and state-supported technical institutes. Associate degrees are awarded to graduates who complete the two-year transfer and career programs.
- Georgia Perimeter College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, and Associate of Applied Science degrees.
- Sports Associations Memberships: National Athletic Association, National Junior College Athletic Association
Related School Videos:
English as Second language Georgia Perimeter College
2 months ago
Related School News:
- Campus gun bill fails to pass the General Assembly - CrossRoadsNews
posted on March 30, 2013 at 02:56:41 am
Campus gun bill fails to pass the General AssemblyCrossRoadsNewsThe group included administrators from Emory University, Agnes Scott College, Georgia Perimeter ...
- Three suspects arrested in Milton driveway shooting - Atlanta Journal Constitution
posted on March 28, 2013 at 05:44:18 pm
Three suspects arrested in Milton driveway shootingAtlanta Journal Constitution?He'd do something like get his mother flowers or buy something for his brother first,? said Franchesca Thomas, 21, who ...
- Georgia Perimeter College celebrates early college week - NeighborNewspapers.com
posted on March 26, 2013 at 05:09:51 pm
Georgia Perimeter College celebrates early college weekNeighborNewspapers.comEstablished in 2006 through a joint partnership with DeKalb County School District and ...
247 students | 5.6 mi. away
3123 students | 7.8 mi. away
3168 students | 7.9 mi. away
978 students | 9.2 mi. away
406 students | 13.8 mi. away