- Virginia College is a private institution of higher education committed to offering associate degrees, diploma courses, and baccalaureate degrees at its various campuses. These programs strengthen the student?s ability to enter or advance in a chosen career. The student?s learning experience and placement opportunities are enhanced through studies that provide a balance of general academics, technical skills and personal growth.
- The teacher population of 135 teachers has declined by 21% over five years.
|Virginia College-Birmingham||(AL) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||135 staff||73 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,818 students||1,756 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||21:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,747 students||1,004 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,071 students||752 students|
|# Undergraduate Students||1,697 students||1,004 students|
|# Graduate Students||50 students||3 students|
|% Two or more races||-|
|% Unknown races|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$28,900||$29,700|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Virginia College was founded by the Atlantis Group, Inc., in 1983 and then purchased by Career Futures, Inc., in 1989. The College opened its first branch campus in Birmingham, Alabama, in February 1992, and this became the main campus in 1995. In April 1993, the College opened its second branch campus in Huntsville, Alabama. Education Corporation of America acquired Virginia College in mid 1999. The College opened its third branch campus in Jackson, Mississippi, in January 2000. Medical Career Centers in Pensacola, Florida, and Mobile, Alabama, became part of the Virginia College family in July 2001. A fourth branch campus was opened in Austin, Texas, in January 2002. The most recent additions are Virginia College Technical, which opened in Pelham, Alabama, in January 2003, and Virginia College Gulf Coast at Biloxi, Mississippi, which held its first classes in November 2005. Virginia College also operates Virginia College Online, offering educational opportunities to students anywhere via the internet while allowing students located near on-ground campuses to have a choice of taking classes online, in the traditional classroom, or in a combination of both. Virginia College at Birmingham offers a wide variety of programs, resulting in both diplomas and associate degrees in such diverse fields as office or business management, computer technologies, health & medical, criminal justice, interior design and visual communications. The Virginia College at Birmingham campus also offers Bachelor's degrees in several fields such as business or office management, interior design, criminal justice or computer technologies and a masters degree (MBA) in Business Adminstration. Programs Offered at Birmingham includes Business Administration, Fraud Investigation, Health Services Management, Human Resource Management, Master of Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Health Services Management, Healthcare Reimbursement, Medical Assistant, Medical Office Management, Orthopaedic Technology, Personal Fitness Trainer, Pharmacy Technician, Respiratory Therapy, Surgical Technology, Therapeutic Massage, Applied Management Information Systems, Computer Programming, Database Administration and Design, Help Desk Support Technician, Network Engineering, Network Security, Animation and Game Design, Computer Aided Drafting and Design, Design Visualization, Interior Design, Internet Webmaster, Multimedia/CAD Managment, Visual Communications, Accounting Assistant, Accounting Specialist, Administrative Assistant, Administrative Office Management and Paralegal Studies. Virginia College specializes in providing the education and training demanded by a competitive job market. Virginia College at Birmingham, Alabama, offers the benefits of small class sizes and flexible schedules, allowing you to earn the education you want at a time that's most convenient for you. The college is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 425 students | 0.20 Mi280 West Valley Avenue
Birmingham,  AL  35209
- 499 students | 0.20 Mi280 West Valley Ave
Birmingham,  AL  35209
- 3,090 students | 3.70 Mi3060 Wilson Rd SW
Birmingham,  AL  35221
- n/a students | 11.50 Mi1100 9th Ave Sw
Bessemer,  AL  35022
- 8,516 students | 14.30 Mi2601 Carson Rd
Birmingham,  AL  35215
June 21, 2018
Learn about programs offered by community colleges that allow students to earn a two-year degree and then go on to earn a bachelor’s degree either online or at a nearby university.
June 21, 2018
Explore a trend seen this year, where enrollment rates are stabilizing or even falling at many community colleges around the country.
June 21, 2018
After transferring to a four-year institution, how do community college students fare? Learn about the reports and studies that shed light on community college student performance at the university level.