- Virginia College is a private institution of higher education committed to offering associate degrees, diploma courses, and baccalaureate degrees at its various campuses. These programs strengthen the student?s ability to enter or advance in a chosen career. The student?s learning experience and placement opportunities are enhanced through studies that provide a balance of general academics, technical skills and personal growth.
- The teacher population of 135 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Virginia College-Birmingham||(AL) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||135 staff||73 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,818 students||1,756 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||21:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,747 students||1,004 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,071 students||752 students|
|# Undergraduate Students||1,697 students||1,004 students|
|# Graduate Students||50 students||3 students|
|% Two or more races||-|
|% Unknown races|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$28,900||$29,500|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Virginia College was founded by the Atlantis Group, Inc., in 1983 and then purchased by Career Futures, Inc., in 1989. The College opened its first branch campus in Birmingham, Alabama, in February 1992, and this became the main campus in 1995. In April 1993, the College opened its second branch campus in Huntsville, Alabama. Education Corporation of America acquired Virginia College in mid 1999. The College opened its third branch campus in Jackson, Mississippi, in January 2000. Medical Career Centers in Pensacola, Florida, and Mobile, Alabama, became part of the Virginia College family in July 2001. A fourth branch campus was opened in Austin, Texas, in January 2002. The most recent additions are Virginia College Technical, which opened in Pelham, Alabama, in January 2003, and Virginia College Gulf Coast at Biloxi, Mississippi, which held its first classes in November 2005. Virginia College also operates Virginia College Online, offering educational opportunities to students anywhere via the internet while allowing students located near on-ground campuses to have a choice of taking classes online, in the traditional classroom, or in a combination of both. Virginia College at Birmingham offers a wide variety of programs, resulting in both diplomas and associate degrees in such diverse fields as office or business management, computer technologies, health & medical, criminal justice, interior design and visual communications. The Virginia College at Birmingham campus also offers Bachelor's degrees in several fields such as business or office management, interior design, criminal justice or computer technologies and a masters degree (MBA) in Business Adminstration. Programs Offered at Birmingham includes Business Administration, Fraud Investigation, Health Services Management, Human Resource Management, Master of Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Health Services Management, Healthcare Reimbursement, Medical Assistant, Medical Office Management, Orthopaedic Technology, Personal Fitness Trainer, Pharmacy Technician, Respiratory Therapy, Surgical Technology, Therapeutic Massage, Applied Management Information Systems, Computer Programming, Database Administration and Design, Help Desk Support Technician, Network Engineering, Network Security, Animation and Game Design, Computer Aided Drafting and Design, Design Visualization, Interior Design, Internet Webmaster, Multimedia/CAD Managment, Visual Communications, Accounting Assistant, Accounting Specialist, Administrative Assistant, Administrative Office Management and Paralegal Studies. Virginia College specializes in providing the education and training demanded by a competitive job market. Virginia College at Birmingham, Alabama, offers the benefits of small class sizes and flexible schedules, allowing you to earn the education you want at a time that's most convenient for you. The college is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools.
- The nearest community college to Virginia College-Birmingham is Herzing University Birmingham (0.2 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 425 students | 0.20 Mi280 West Valley Avenue
Birmingham,  AL  35209
- 551 students | 0.20 Mi280 West Valley Ave
Birmingham,  AL  35209
- 3,090 students | 3.70 Mi3060 Wilson Rd SW
Birmingham,  AL  35221
- n/a students | 11.50 Mi1100 9th Ave Sw
Bessemer,  AL  35022
- 8,516 students | 14.30 Mi2601 Carson Rd
Birmingham,  AL  35215
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.