Southeastern Community College (Whiteville)
- Founded in 1964 as part of the North Carolina Community College System, Southeastern Community College is a public, comprehensive community college providing individuals in Columbus County with accessible educational, cultural, and social opportunities designed to improve the quality of their lives. The college offers programs leading to the awarding of continuing education units, certificates, diplomas, and associate degrees. Utilizing multiple and alternate methods of instructional delivery, the college provides learning experiences for those preparing for an occupation upon graduation, for those in the work force seeking to enhance their knowledge and skills, and for those transferring to a baccalaureate institution. The college seeks to further serve the community at large by offering basic skills and literacy education for adults, by supporting economic development through services to business and industry, and by providing programs and services that improve the quality of life.
The teacher population of 92 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Southeastern Community College (Whiteville)||(NC) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||92 staff||139 staff|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, SoftballBaseball, Softball,|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The 100-acre campus is on the Chadbourn Highway between Whiteville and Chadbourn in southeastern North Carolina. SCC is a one hour drive from historic cities of Wilmington and Fayetteville, North Carolina, as well as the Grand Strand beaches of both North and South Carolina. SCC provides a wide range of continuing education courses throughout Columbus County, serving more than 4,000 adults annually. More than 50 occupational and liberal arts curriculum programs are offered by the college. SCC offers a wide variety of college-credit curriculum programs. Courses in most areas are available at night, and some programs may be completed through evening and distance learning classes. Certificates and pre-licensing programs, each 18 semester credit hours or less, provide job skills training. Vocational diploma programs, most requiring approximately one year of course work, give more intensive training to students interested in employment immediately after graduation. Two-year degree curricula include technical programs and college transfer programs. Upon graduation, degree students may elect to continue their education at a senior institution or enter the job market. Southeastern Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award certificates, diplomas, and associate degrees.
The nearest community college to Southeastern Community College (Whiteville) is Bladen Community College (21.4 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,334 students | 21.40 Mi7418 NC Hwy 41 West
Dublin,  NC  28332
(910) 879-5500 21.401,334
- 1,988 students | 27.00 Mi5160 Fayetteville Rd
Lumberton,  NC  28360
(910) 272-3700 27.001,988
- 1,814 students | 37.50 Mi50 College Rd
Bolivia,  NC  28422
(910) 755-7300 37.501,814
- 7,335 students | 39.20 Mi2050 Highway 501 East
Conway,  SC  29526
(843) 347-3186 39.207,335
- 9,091 students | 48.00 Mi411 North Front Street
Wilmington,  NC  28401
(910) 362-7000 48.009,091
With serious mental health issues on the rise on college campuses nationwide, community colleges are scrambling to provide expanded mental health services to students.
We examine a new report at USA Today that shows employment rates for community college graduates have skyrocketed - and which of the fields where a community college degree is particularly helpful.
Who says college is just for the 18 - 22 year old crowd? In fact, more community colleges are recruiting students over the age of 50 - and for good reason!